Who is connected to my network ?

Old October 9th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ray

Default Who is connected to my network ?

Does anyone know of a simple program that can be run on the desktop in
windows XP that shows a list of currently online computers connected to a
network? I am seeking such a program to help me see at a glance which PC's
are currently switched on and connected.

Not sure if one exists, but I only want something really simple that doesn't
take up a lot of resources, but one which can sit on the desktop at all
times and one that updates every 30 seconds or so.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Old October 9th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

angry ip scanner 2.21 is a good one
i use it at work

it will scan/ping a range of ip addresses (your network)
and report which ones are on, the computer name and the name of the user
logged on

Hope that helps
Craig

it wont update all the time but you can just rescan at a click

Old October 10th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:03:20 +0100, "Ray"
wrote:

Not sure if one exists, but I only want something really simple that doesn't
take up a lot of resources, but one which can sit on the desktop at all
times and one that updates every 30 seconds or so.

Two utils that may help with this, [email protected] or Airsnare. The former
scans a network and lists the machines found there giving all sorts of
info on them. The latter is designed for wireless networks mainly,
tho' it also works on wired LANs, and looks for new mac addresses on
the network. With this, you can also set it to only allow certain MACs
to connect to the network.

http://www.lookatlan.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

HTH
Old October 10th 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Nig wrote:
the network. With this, you can also set it to only allow certain MACs
to connect to the network.

Which will provide a somewhat illusory sense of security. MAC addresses
are trivial to spoof.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old October 10th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 10/10/2006 in message Mike
Scott wrote:

Nig wrote:
the network. With this, you can also set it to only allow certain MACs
to connect to the network.

Which will provide a somewhat illusory sense of security. MAC addresses
are trivial to spoof.

I always get a bit worried by statements like that since I use MAC
addresses to control access to my wireless network :-(

Can you expand a bit, or point me to an article? I had always worked on
the assumption that somebody would need to sit within range of my wireless
network and tinker for a while (?hours) to discover my MAC addresses, is
that wishful thinking?

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old October 10th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Jeff Gaines wrote:
the network. With this, you can also set it to only allow certain MACs
to connect to the network.

Which will provide a somewhat illusory sense of security. MAC
addresses are trivial to spoof.

I always get a bit worried by statements like that since I use MAC
addresses to control access to my wireless network :-(

Can you expand a bit, or point me to an article? I had always worked on
the assumption that somebody would need to sit within range of my
wireless network and tinker for a while (?hours) to discover my MAC
addresses, is that wishful thinking?

Yes.

I just took a quick look here. I've got kismet running on a freebsd
machine; I'm using WEP (I'd prefer WPA but thanks belkin :-( ). kismet
happily tells me the MAC addresses on the wireless LAN (and the LANs it
can see, for that matter). Took about a minute to boot up and remember
how to run it :-)

There are packages around that purport to crack WEP data given a
reasonable amount of traffic. I've not tried them.

And having found a good MAC, well, it's a one liner on bsd, several
clicks on XP, to change your own MAC to that one.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old October 10th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 10/10/2006 in message Mike
Scott wrote:

Yes.

I just took a quick look here. I've got kismet running on a freebsd
machine; I'm using WEP (I'd prefer WPA but thanks belkin :-( ). kismet
happily tells me the MAC addresses on the wireless LAN (and the LANs it
can see, for that matter). Took about a minute to boot up and remember how
to run it :-)

There are packages around that purport to crack WEP data given a
reasonable amount of traffic. I've not tried them.

And having found a good MAC, well, it's a one liner on bsd, several clicks
on XP, to change your own MAC to that one.

OK, thanks :-)

Looks like I'd better do something better!

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old October 30th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

"Ray" wrote in
:

Does anyone know of a simple program that can be run on the desktop in
windows XP that shows a list of currently online computers connected
to a network? I am seeking such a program to help me see at a glance
which PC's are currently switched on and connected.

Not sure if one exists, but I only want something really simple that
doesn't take up a lot of resources, but one which can sit on the
desktop at all times and one that updates every 30 seconds or so.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

I would suggest the FREEWARE program 'Analyzer'

Then use the LAN Node Discovery program, it will pick up all active
nodes within a network, provided you do NOT use switches.

--
Kind Regards,

Alex Davies
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

http://www.tgtbt-online.com
Old October 31st 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

i use a little freebie utility called [email protected] can't remember their
website but i'm sure search will find it..

andy
"TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services" wrote
in message ...
"Ray" wrote in
: