Unusably slow ADSL

Old October 10th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Unusably slow ADSL

My daughter has a 256Kbps pipex adsl account, she lives in Hemel
Hempstead where it was recently reported that they have run out of
ADSL capacity.

She has been away from home for a few months so cannot narrow this
down to a specific period but her ADSL connection appears unusable.

We have tried two different ethernet routers so eliminated that as a
problem, I have used a replacement phone cable from where it enters
the house so assume that eliminates the internal phone line as a
problem.

BT state the line has been checked and is apparently OK.

I have been unable to contact Pipex by phone so am having a problem
resolving this issue.

I am wondering about the share ratio, I think the residential share
ratio is 50, so if as reported Hemel is running out of phone lines
could it be that at a slow contract rate of 256Kbps it could be this
making my line unusable.

Geoff Lane

Old October 10th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:44:17 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

My daughter has a 256Kbps pipex adsl account, she lives in Hemel
Hempstead where it was recently reported that they have run out of
ADSL capacity.

Apologies for this repost of a similar query sent under message ID

I thought I remembered posting it but due to computer problem could
find it; didn't occur to me to search google for the message ID.

Humble apologies :-))))

Geoff Lane

Old October 14th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brush-head©

If you haven't done it already, go to adslguide.org.uk and run their
speed test. It also gives you what should be the expected average
results for this speed of service (I must admit I haven't heard of
anything these days below 512Kbits but I've lost some interest lately
in the BB market 'cos of all the hyperbole).
This will at least tell you if the line is performing OK and within
what can be expected - you'll never get the top line response of
course.
Then the next thing to do as you've replaced all the external items is
the PC itself. Do the usual defrag of disk, clean up the disk of
spurious temp files etc using the tools in XP.

If none of this works then have a look at some of the articles and
links on adslguide as you may want to consider checking out other
settings within the router and you machine but only change one thing at
a time, and if it does not work set it back to where you were before
you made the change, oh and write down what you did and when you did
it, otherwsie you may loose track.

Old October 15th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On 14 Oct 2006 06:17:39 -0700, "brush-head©"
wrote:

If you haven't done it already, go to adslguide.org.uk and run their
speed test.
This will at least tell you if the line is performing OK and within
what can be expected - you'll never get the top line response of
course.

Most of the time the web pages time out so I've no chance of doing a
speed test.

Then the next thing to do as you've replaced all the external items is
the PC itself. Do the usual defrag of disk, clean up the disk of
spurious temp files etc using the tools in XP.

The laptop used is performing perfectly on a different Wifi location.

If none of this works then have a look at some of the articles and
links on adslguide as you may want to consider checking out other
settings within the router and you machine but only change one thing at
a time, and if it does not work set it back to where you were before
you made the change, oh and write down what you did and when you did
it, otherwsie you may loose track.

Good advice, thanks.

Geoff Lane

Old October 30th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

[...]

LOL, I'm from Hemel Hempstead too!

I should think it would most likely be a virus/malware attack. Try using
a different machine with the connection, if you havent already.

Most major residential ISP's have a contention of 1:50 (which means you
share bandwidth with 49 other nodes on the network)

It is either the contention which is the problem, or it could be a
connection problem, ensure all connections work and are NOT dodgy, Does
the pipex modems have a web interface if they do, try to look at the
downstream and upstream rates (DB levels)

--
Kind Regards,

Alex Davies
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

http://www.tgtbt-online.com
Old November 2nd 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:12:28 GMT, "TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting
Services" wrote:

My daughter has a 256Kbps pipex adsl account, she lives in Hemel
Hempstead where it was recently reported that they have run out of
ADSL capacity.

She has been away from home for a few months so cannot narrow this
down to a specific period but her ADSL connection appears unusable.

LOL, I'm from Hemel Hempstead too!

I should think it would most likely be a virus/malware attack. Try using
a different machine with the connection, if you havent already.

Definitely not a virus/malware problem. Her machine works fine at my
place; also Pipex adsl

It is either the contention which is the problem, or it could be a
connection problem, ensure all connections work and are NOT dodgy, Does
the pipex modems have a web interface if they do, try to look at the
downstream and upstream rates (DB levels)

Tried it all, Pipex impossible to get hold of.

Geoff Lane