Port Usage

Old October 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Enigma

Default Port Usage

Hi

I live in Cyprus and have broadband with satellite.

Using Skype is not very good. There is latency

I have spoken to our service provider and enquired about using Tesco
Internet Phone. He says if I find out what ports Tesco Internet uses he will
prioritise the ports.

Does anyone know which ones it uses?

Are these the same ports as used by other SIP phones?

Many thanks

Old October 10th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

Enigma wrote:
Hi

I live in Cyprus and have broadband with satellite.

Using Skype is not very good. There is latency

I have spoken to our service provider and enquired about using Tesco
Internet Phone. He says if I find out what ports Tesco Internet uses
he will prioritise the ports.

Does anyone know which ones it uses?

Are these the same ports as used by other SIP phones?

Many thanks

It's not looking likely -

Excerpt from:

http://www.tesco.com/tescotalk/about.asp

" and the (slightly) negative bit...
a.. Youíll have to pay BT for your line rental as you will still be using
their line.
b.. Tesco home phone only works on a BT line so if youíre on cable, sorry we
canít help you.
c.. Mobile tariffs are constantly changing and are different depending on
which network you call. So to keep it simple we constantly track call charges
and make sure we charge you the lowest price we can.
d.. Youíll get charged a bit more for calls abroad but not a lot Ė only 4p per
minute to any of our 15 most popular countries.
e.. You canít use your free minutes when dialling-up to connect to the
internet.
* Callback not available in all areas "

Old October 10th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"cybuerke" wrote in message

It's not looking likely -

Excerpt from:

http://www.tesco.com/tescotalk/about.asp

" and the (slightly) negative bit...
a.. You'll have to pay BT for your line rental as you will still be using
their line.
b.. Tesco home phone only works on a BT line so if you're on cable, sorry
we can't help you.

Eh? Works perfectly well on cable.

I can imagine "Tesco Internet" not working, or some form of CPS or Indirect
Access for call charges not working. However, the OP was asking about Tesco
Internet Phone.

So, in answer to the OP's question, I'm sure that their service is IAX
based. The standard port for IAX2 is 4569

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX

Old October 10th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-10-10, Enigma wrote:

Hi

I live in Cyprus and have broadband with satellite.

Using Skype is not very good. There is latency

I have spoken to our service provider and enquired about using Tesco
Internet Phone. He says if I find out what ports Tesco Internet uses he will
prioritise the ports.

Does anyone know which ones it uses?

The Tesco service uses the IAX protocol which does both signalling and
audio on a single UDP port, 4569.

Are these the same ports as used by other SIP phones?

No. SIP uses multiple ports. 5060 (generally) for signalling and a range
of other ports, which can be specified by some clients, for audio.

Many thanks

A search with 'IAX' and 'Tesco' will pick up previous posts of interest
to you made in this newsgroup.

Brian.
Old October 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:01:26 +0300, "Enigma" wrote:

Hi

I live in Cyprus and have broadband with satellite.

Using Skype is not very good. There is latency

I have spoken to our service provider and enquired about using Tesco
Internet Phone. He says if I find out what ports Tesco Internet uses he will
prioritise the ports.

If your broadband is via satellite, your always going to have at least
~ 240 mS of latency due to the distance of the satellite from the
earth, regardless of using Skype, Tesco or anybody.

Old October 10th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:20:46 +0100, "cybuerke"
wrote:

Enigma wrote:
[...]

You are thinking of Tesco Home Phone which is a CPS service over a BT
line.. the OP was enquiring about Tesco *Internet* Phone which is an
entirely different service.
Old October 11th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

If your broadband is via satellite, your always going to have at least
~ 240 mS of latency due to the distance of the satellite from the
earth, regardless of using Skype, Tesco or anybody.

http://herm.doylem.co.uk/~tim/speedOfLight.pdf

for the maths.

Tim
Old October 11th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:20:04 +0100, Tim wrote:

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

If your broadband is via satellite, your always going to have at least
~ 240 mS of latency due to the distance of the satellite from the
earth, regardless of using Skype, Tesco or anybody.

http://herm.doylem.co.uk/~tim/speedOfLight.pdf

for the maths.

Wouldn't the ground station to satellite distance be 35,786km?

Assuming a geostationary orbit and a receiver on the equator at sea
level?

Old October 11th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Darren J Longhorn wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:01:26 +0300, "Enigma" wrote:

Hi

I live in Cyprus and have broadband with satellite.

Using Skype is not very good. There is latency

I have spoken to our service provider and enquired about using Tesco
Internet Phone. He says if I find out what ports Tesco Internet uses he will
prioritise the ports.

If your broadband is via satellite, your always going to have at least
~ 240 mS of latency due to the distance of the satellite from the
earth, regardless of using Skype, Tesco or anybody.

Wouldn't we get latency when Internet traffic is routed normally through
satellites and packets get re-routed? I mean, a call from the UK to
Australia is a) very far & b) probably going to pass through a satellite
somewhere so VOIP shouldn't work at all.
Old October 11th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Desk Rabbit wrote:
Wouldn't we get latency when Internet traffic is routed normally through
satellites and packets get re-routed? I mean, a call from the UK to
Australia is a) very far & b) probably going to pass through a satellite
somewhere so VOIP shouldn't work at all.

Most links go on fibre now. Still a long way, but a lot nearer than
into the sky and back.

Latency doesn't actually matter. The call will still work, just with a
delay.

It is jitter that stops most phones.

Tim