How to share printer

Old October 12th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

Default How to share printer

Hi
I have been trying to share my Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer.
I want to use it on my networked laptop but I cannot get the laptop to
see the printer which is connected to my main home PC. I would
appreciate some help please.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 11:50:28

Old October 12th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony Wright

In message , Ian Pollard
writes

I have been trying to share my Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer.
I want to use it on my networked laptop but I cannot get the laptop to
see the printer which is connected to my main home PC. I would
appreciate some help please.

On main PC go to Control Panel Printers Select 830 Right Click
Left Click on Sharing and enable sharing the printer
On Main PC go to CP System Ident Tab Make the Workgroup the same
as the laptop workgroup.
Reboot both PCs
On laptop do CP Printers Add Printer Network Browse for printer
Select the Epson.

If it can't find the 830 then check that a firewall on the main PC isn't
blocking the local Lan as many do by default.
--
Tony
Old October 12th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:34:18 +0100, Tony Wright
wrote:

In message , Ian Pollard
writes

SNIP

On main PC go to Control Panel Printers Select 830 Right Click
Left Click on Sharing and enable sharing the printer
On Main PC go to CP System Ident Tab Make the Workgroup the same
as the laptop workgroup.
Reboot both PCs
On laptop do CP Printers Add Printer Network Browse for printer
Select the Epson.

Have done all that

If it can't find the 830 then check that a firewall on the main PC isn't
blocking the local Lan as many do by default.

Thanks for that, I am using the Windows Firewall and cannot find out
how to permit printer access. The Lan is firewalled but there is no
mention of the printer being excepted. Any ideas?

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 13:07:21

Old October 12th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
news

Thanks for that, I am using the Windows Firewall and cannot find out
how to permit printer access. The Lan is firewalled but there is no
mention of the printer being excepted. Any ideas?

If you click the firewall's "exceptions" tab, i think there may be a check
box in there for that option...?

Old October 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:25:15 +0100, "Tx2"
wrote:

If you click the firewall's "exceptions" tab, i think there may be a check
box in there for that option...?

Found the checkbox and it is checked as an exception. I can see the
printer in printers and faxes but I cannot communicate with it. When I
try to print anything to it it comes up with a message about a missing
handle and it just refuses to print a test page and asks me if I want
to use the print troubleshooter.I cannot see how much ink is in the
cartridges via the properties so I am assuming that it just isn't
communicating

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 19:13:21

Old October 12th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
news
Found the checkbox and it is checked as an exception. I can see the
printer in printers and faxes but I cannot communicate with it. When I
try to print anything to it it comes up with a message about a missing
handle and it just refuses to print a test page and asks me if I want
to use the print troubleshooter

What is the *exact* message?

Old October 12th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:30:08 +0100, "Tx2"
wrote:

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
news
Found the checkbox and it is checked as an exception. I can see the
printer in printers and faxes but I cannot communicate with it. When I
try to print anything to it it comes up with a message about a missing
handle and it just refuses to print a test page and asks me if I want
to use the print troubleshooter

What is the *exact* message?

Sorry,I didn't read it correctly, it says:

"The Handle is invalid"

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 19:44:54

Old October 12th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lez Pawl

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
news
Hi
I have been trying to share my Epson Stylus Photo 830 printer.
I want to use it on my networked laptop but I cannot get the laptop to
see the printer which is connected to my main home PC. I would
appreciate some help please.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 11:50:28

Use Control Panel, Printers and other hardware, Add a Printer, Add a printer
wizard.

Add new printer, select a network printer, Next, Browse for a printer then
in the selection box pick the \\Desktop\Epson 830 or something like this.

Old October 12th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:11:32 +0100, "Lez Pawl"
wrote:

Use Control Panel, Printers and other hardware, Add a Printer, Add a printer
wizard.

Add new printer, select a network printer, Next, Browse for a printer then
in the selection box pick the \\Desktop\Epson 830 or something like this.

I have tried that but the printer will not print.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 12/10/2006
Tested on: 12/10/2006 22:28:47

Old October 12th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter

Ian Pollard wrote in
:

I have tried that but the printer will not print.

Have you tried installing it as a new 'local' printer attached directly to
the laptop?

If that works, could you then go to Properties Ports and set the laptop
to see the printer on a remote connection, ie Ports Add Port ?