Just let a phone ring

Old October 13th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Markus R.

Default Just let a phone ring

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account to just dial a
number and let it ring once? It does not have to do anything more but since
I want to start it programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

Regards,

Markus

Old October 14th 06, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-10-13, Markus R. wrote:

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account to just dial a
number and let it ring once? It does not have to do anything more but since
I want to start it programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

You could investigate using a SIP testing tool. There are a number about
but sipsak might be worth looking at. Never having used it for the
purpose you have in mind I've no real idea whether it will do what you
want, but it can send SIP requests and search for strings in the
replies.

Brian.
Old October 14th 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Markus R. wrote:

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account to just dial a
number and let it ring once? It does not have to do anything more but
since I want to start it programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

In order to do this, you would have to know how long the ring tone is of the
target phone.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
09:40:47 up 3 days, 13:21, 5 users, load average: 0.03, 0.15, 0.16

Old October 14th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"alexd" wrote in message

Markus R. wrote:

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account
to just dial a number and let it ring once? It does not
have to do anything more but since I want to start it
programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

In order to do this, you would have to know how long the
ring tone is of the target phone.

Eh..? A phone will ring for as long as ringing voltage is applied. For a
POTS phone the duration of a ring cycle is determined by the exchange, for
a VoIP phone it would be the ATA. Sipura devices amongst others have a
facility to change this, others do not.

Ivor

Old October 14th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"alexd" wrote in message

Markus R. wrote:

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account
to just dial a number and let it ring once? It does not
have to do anything more but since I want to start it
programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

In order to do this, you would have to know how long the
ring tone is of the target phone.

Eh..? A phone will ring for as long as ringing voltage is applied. For a
POTS phone the duration of a ring cycle is determined by the exchange, for
a VoIP phone it would be the ATA. Sipura devices amongst others have a
facility to change this, others do not.

I think he means that, in order to make a phone at the remote end ring ONLY
once, some experimentation would be required. After all, when the caller
hears "ring ring", the person at the other end may not have heard the phone
actually ring.

Old October 14th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Jono wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"alexd" wrote in message

Markus R. wrote:

Hi,

does anyone of you know a tool which uses a sip account
to just dial a number and let it ring once? It does not
have to do anything more but since I want to start it
programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

In order to do this, you would have to know how long the
ring tone is of the target phone.

Eh..? A phone will ring for as long as ringing voltage is applied. For a
POTS phone the duration of a ring cycle is determined by the exchange, for
a VoIP phone it would be the ATA. Sipura devices amongst others have a
facility to change this, others do not.

I think he means that, in order to make a phone at the remote end ring ONLY
once, some experimentation would be required. After all, when the caller
hears "ring ring", the person at the other end may not have heard the phone
actually ring.

Indeed. In fact some systems when you call then you don't hear *any*
ringing tone, they just answer immediately. There is no sure-fire 100%
bullet proof way that the caller can be sure that the remote phone has
rung once or at all.

Before I fixed a bug in my Asterisk system, outgoing ISDN calls always
produced ringing tone before the destination, even when the destination
was engaged.
Old October 15th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:06:15 GMT, Jono wrote:

I think he means that, in order to make a phone at the remote end ring ONLY
once, some experimentation would be required. After all, when the caller
hears "ring ring", the person at the other end may not have heard the phone
actually ring.

I recall working in open plan offices and calling a nearby desk that the
"ring-ring" via the phone was when the called phone was *not* ringing.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old October 15th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Desk Rabbit wrote:

Before I fixed a bug in my Asterisk system, outgoing ISDN calls always
produced ringing tone before the destination, even when the destination
was engaged.

I have a similar situation [SIP handsets and ISDN trunks] and I have the
same 'problem'. It's not a problem once you're used to it, it's just that
people are easily confused. How did you resolve it? Also, I get All
Circuits Busy when calling a non-existant number, which again causes
confusion to the un-initiated.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
15:12:37 up 4 days, 18:53, 4 users, load average: 0.03, 0.11, 0.09

Old October 15th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

alexd explained :
Also, I get All
Circuits Busy when calling a non-existant number, which again causes
confusion to the un-initiated.

Re-record the "All Circuits Busy" message to something more meaningful.

Old October 15th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Jono wrote:

alexd explained :
Also, I get All
Circuits Busy when calling a non-existant number, which again causes
confusion to the un-initiated.

Re-record the "All Circuits Busy" message to something more meaningful.

LOL. I had originally considered that because that's the kind of quick and
dirty hack that I favour, but then what happens all circuits genuinely are
busy? [Trixbox 1.1.1 FWIW].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:49:54 up 4 days, 21:30, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.17