Newbie trying to understand

Old October 14th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Greg

Default Newbie trying to understand

Hello,

I am newbie who would like to understand the reasons for using hardware
equipment (voip adapters) as opposed to software voip phone applications
when calling from Canada landlines located in Europe.

As of now, I am using Voipdiscount to call European landline numbers, from
Canada.

Is there an advantage in using a voip adapter when I only need to call and
not to be called on a voip number?

If it turns out that there is an advantage, I think of buying a SPA3102
(seems to me to be the latest and greatest from Linksys but I not really
certain).

I think that even if I use Voipdiscount through the hardware voip adapter,
the rates will be the same.

So, I wonder why should I buy a voip adapter? Just for the sake of using a
regular phone headset?

I apologize for my ignorance and I appreciate any advice you would provide.

Thank you for your time.

Greg

Old October 14th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Greg" wrote in message

Hello,

I am newbie who would like to understand the reasons for
using hardware equipment (voip adapters) as opposed to
software voip phone applications when calling from Canada
landlines located in Europe.

Simply that a computer does not need to be switched on in order to make or
receive a call, you can just use a normal phone. Install it and forget it,
basically.

As of now, I am using Voipdiscount to call European
landline numbers, from Canada.

Is there an advantage in using a voip adapter when I only
need to call and not to be called on a voip number?

An additional incoming number is always useful, why not take advantage of
it..? One number for home, one for work (you can switch off the ATA when
you don't want work bothering you..!) or several other reasons I can think
of.

If it turns out that there is an advantage, I think of
buying a SPA3102 (seems to me to be the latest and
greatest from Linksys but I not really certain).

I think that even if I use Voipdiscount through the
hardware voip adapter, the rates will be the same.

So, I wonder why should I buy a voip adapter? Just for
the sake of using a regular phone headset?

As I said, for the convenience of not having to rely on a computer.

Ivor

Old October 14th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Other Guy

Greg wrote:
I am newbie who would like to understand the reasons for using hardware
equipment (voip adapters) as opposed to software voip phone applications
when calling from Canada landlines located in Europe.

What I would like to know is why are you considering buying an adaptor
if you can do what you want without one?

Other than the use of a regular phone, there is one major advantage to
hardware solutions. You don't require a PC turned on. If you're happy to
use the computer just to make outgoing calls, and can put up with the
constant need to fiddle with volume controls, then I'd say you should
save your money and just use a free softphone.

I personally opted for the hardware solution. Here is why...

- I can never seem to get microphones to work properly (I suspect the
one I have is proprietary).
- Could use a cordless phone with it, freedom to move around.
- My PC next to the phone cannot remain on 24/7.
- I receive incoming calls, and use my PC for other things (music
playing etc.)
- USB headsets are cheap rubbish.

Up to you really. No reason you shouldn't start just with the softphone
and upgrade when (and if) you really need it.

The Other Guy
Old October 15th 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Greg

Ivor Jones, The Other Guy, thank you very much for your advice.

For the moment, I will stick with a softphone but I will gain more knowledge
about IP telephony.

Maybe later one I will switch to a hardware adapter because I like the idea
of being able to move around with a cordless headset.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Greg