QOS

Old October 14th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Default QOS

Ina previous post that seems to have died, I was asked if I had
implimented QOS.

I have no ida what QOS is - and would appreciate some clues please - it
was in relation to the fact my Sipgate service is apparently dropping
sound during some calls.
The Internet is not being used when this happens.

Mick

Old October 15th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
Old October 15th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh Mick:
Ina previous post that seems to have died, I was asked if I had
implimented QOS.

I have no ida what QOS is - and would appreciate some clues please -
it was in relation to the fact my Sipgate service is apparently
dropping sound during some calls.
The Internet is not being used when this happens.

Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Ok thanks. Thast explains what QOS is - but what do I have to impliment
on my machine to avoid dropped speech? I have found QOS in properties
for my LAN settings - it's unticked. Should it be ticked??

Mick

Old October 16th 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mick" wrote in message

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh Mick:
Ina previous post that seems to have died, I was
asked if I had implimented QOS.

I have no ida what QOS is - and would appreciate some
clues please - it was in relation to the fact my
Sipgate service is apparently dropping sound during
some calls.
The Internet is not being used when this happens.

Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Ok thanks. Thast explains what QOS is - but what do I
have to impliment on my machine to avoid dropped speech?
I have found QOS in properties for my LAN settings - it's
unticked. Should it be ticked??

You haven't told us what equipment you're using, but if there's an on/off
setting for QoS (small 'o' to be pedantic..!) then yes, it should be on.

Try it and let us know if it makes any difference. FWIW the only time I
ever experience dropped speech is if the person the other end is doing a
heavy download, otherwise it's fine.

Ivor

Old October 16th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh Mick:
[...]

Thanks.

I have now 'ticked' the QoS box - I'll let you know the results!

For info - I'm running NTL at 4Mb through a Belkin 54g wireless router
- the Spigate service is connected to the router with a Sipura SPA1001.

Regards

Mick

Old October 16th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mick" wrote in message

[snip]

I have now 'ticked' the QoS box - I'll let you know the
results!

For info - I'm running NTL at 4Mb through a Belkin 54g
wireless router - the Spigate service is connected to the
router with a Sipura SPA1001.

Ok, well you shouldn't have any problems with that setup, I've not used
the Belkin router but other stuff I've had from them has always been ok. I
do have a SPA1001 as a spare ATA, I used it on a trip to Germany a few
weeks ago, staying with a friend there, and it worked fine. There are
numerous settings on the SPA that could affect things though, maybe
something there needs adjusting..? In particular are all the regional
settings set to the UK values..?

Ivor

Old October 16th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
I do have a SPA1001 as a spare ATA, I used it on a trip to Germany a few
weeks ago, staying with a friend there, and it worked fine.

OT, I know, sorry..........

Any suggested destinations in Germany? Looking to go there next week - Hull
Rotterdam crossing.

Old October 16th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

[snip]

I have now 'ticked' the QoS box - I'll let you know the
results!

For info - I'm running NTL at 4Mb through a Belkin 54g
wireless router - the Spigate service is connected to the
router with a Sipura SPA1001.

Ok, well you shouldn't have any problems with that setup, I've not
used the Belkin router but other stuff I've had from them has always
been ok. I do have a SPA1001 as a spare ATA, I used it on a trip to
Germany a few weeks ago, staying with a friend there, and it worked
fine. There are numerous settings on the SPA that could affect things
though, maybe something there needs adjusting..?

Ivor

In particular are
all the regional settings set to the UK values..?

I would have to assume so - in particular, the only setting in the
regional tab that refers to the UK is the caller ID method.

Mick

Old October 16th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
I do have a SPA1001 as a spare ATA, I used it on a
trip to Germany a few weeks ago, staying with a friend
there, and it worked fine.

OT, I know, sorry..........

Any suggested destinations in Germany? Looking to go
there next week - Hull Rotterdam crossing.

Well you can always go and visit Sipgate in Düsseldorf ;-)

Ivor

Old October 17th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Mick wrote:

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh Mick:
[...]

It's just dawned on me - the QoS tick box is a part of Win XP - if the
computer is not a part of the sipgate service because it links direct
to the modem / router - what difference would the QoS setting make?

I myself experienced the dropped voice problem today. Is it possible
that a silence in the conversation would cause the drop - much like a
vox control on a noise sensitive microphone?

Mick