Voiptalk unobtainable/engaged

Old October 16th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

Default Voiptalk unobtainable/engaged

One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At least half the time I
dial I will get unobtainable or engaged but If I immediately try the BT land
line it will ring straight away.

Is this normal or what?

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old October 16th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Dave Saville wrote:

One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At least half the time
I dial I will get unobtainable or engaged but If I immediately try the BT
land line it will ring straight away.

A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on the BT line? Calling
out to your Voiptalk line from the BT line, or calling in to your BT line
from the Voiptalk line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the line? Both? Neither?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:35:05 up 5 days, 23:15, 5 users, load average: 0.42, 0.69, 0.95

Old October 16th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"alexd" wrote in message

Dave Saville wrote:

One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At
least half the time I dial I will get unobtainable or
engaged but If I immediately try the BT land line it
will ring straight away.

A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on
the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line from the
BT line, or calling in to your BT line from the Voiptalk
line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the
line? Both? Neither?

I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the call doesn't
connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

Ivor

Old October 17th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:03:58 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

Dave Saville wrote:

One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At
least half the time I dial I will get unobtainable or
engaged but If I immediately try the BT land line it
will ring straight away.

A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on
the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line from the
BT line, or calling in to your BT line from the Voiptalk
line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the
line? Both? Neither?

I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the call doesn't
connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

Correct.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old October 17th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

. uk

"alexd" wrote in message

Dave Saville wrote:

One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk.
At least half the time I dial I will get
unobtainable or engaged but If I immediately try
the BT land line it will ring straight away.

A bit of clarification is called for here - try what
on the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line
from the BT line, or calling in to your BT line from
the Voiptalk line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is
it ringing tone heard in the the receiver? The phone
plugged into the line? Both? Neither?

I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the
call doesn't connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

Correct.

Ok, but a little more info is still called for. What numbers give this
result..? Just a few, or all of them..? Is it happening all the time or
only sometimes..? I know of a case where someone was trying to dial a
freephone number but it wouldn't connect via a VoIP provider but would via
BT. I eventually found out that it was an *international* freephone 00800
number, which aren't supported on that provider's system, which would
account for it.

Ivor

Old October 18th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

"alexd" wrote in message

Dave Saville wrote:

[...]

Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess more than half the
time. Time of day does not seem to matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP,
but my BT land line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all of
Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old October 18th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess
more than half the time. Time of day does not seem to
matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP, but my BT land
line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all
of Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

Doubtful. Do you get the same results consistently with the same
numbers..? i.e. is 01234 567890 *always* engaged on VoIP and *always* ok
on BT or doesn't it matter..?

What equipment are you using..? Softphone or ATA..?

Ivor

Old October 19th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:43:16 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
.uk

[snip]

Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess
more than half the time. Time of day does not seem to
matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP, but my BT land
line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all
of Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

Doubtful. Do you get the same results consistently with the same
numbers..? i.e. is 01234 567890 *always* engaged on VoIP and *always* ok
on BT or doesn't it matter..?

That I don't know - more research needed :-)

What equipment are you using..? Softphone or ATA..?

Zyxel 2002 on dedicated "real" IP.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old November 25th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:48:23 +0100 (BST), Dave Saville wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:55:01 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

t.uk

"alexd" wrote in message

Dave Saville wrote:

[...]

I think I have cracked the problem. So in case anyone else falls into this
particular heffalump trap ..........

On the POTS side we have this smart dialer thingy for routing calls through
different providers depending on the number dialed. It can take some time
before all the kit on the circuit is satisfied I have finished dialing, so I
have gotten into the habit of adding a trailing # - Which works fine on POTS,
but on VOIP it is used, amongst other things, in dialing an IP address. I
suspect the equipment saw the #, went off into never never land and correctly
returned unobtainable.

--

Regards

Dave Saville