NTL & USB

Old October 17th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default NTL & USB

Have had a friend ask me to help with thier NTL problem.

A week ago the connection started to drop out, so instead of asking me, they
phoned NTL help line and the nice person told them to take out the ethernet
and try the NTL modem direct via USB! This meant putting in the NTL CD.

It worked on USB, but they had a router, so couldn't continue to use it on
USB. They plugged the router back in along with the ethernet. Result:

No connection via the computer. But they could get wireless from router OK.

I would have told them to not worry with the dropped connection NTL were
having problems at the time, but now I have to roll back the USB
installation and I'm after some advice. Thing is they didn't have the NTL
Windoze XP Home CD, only a 98 version, so how it worked I do not know.

The last time I did this to myself with a non-cable modem/router was years
ago and I had to reinstall windows in the end. I don't want to have to do
that this time, so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Old October 19th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

I found the network drivers were corrupted. So rolled back to an earlier
system point.

Worked beautifully.