What prevents a SIP = Skype Gateway?

Old October 18th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Inman Harvey

Default What prevents a SIP = Skype Gateway?

Skype presumably maintains its incompatibility with SIP through a
commercial calculation that it is in Skype's interests to lock in customers.

But what is to prevent someone setting up a SIP = Skype Gateway that
had eg 'sipgateway' as a skype address that could be suffixed by any
sip-address, and vice versa?

(A) Technical problems? Translation between protocols, timelags?
Bandwidth bottleneck when usage exploded?

(B) Financing problems? Charge a small monthly fixed fee to register for
the gateway? Or a very small usage charge? Both Skype and SIP parts
would be cost-free to the gateway.

(C) Legal problems? Might Skype shut off the Skype connection if they
thought their interests were threatened?

Has nobody thought of/tried this before? If one of you sets this up and
makes a fortune, can you cut me in for 1% for providing the idea? :^)

Inman Harvey
Old October 18th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Inman Harvey

Inman Harvey wrote:
Has nobody thought of/tried this before? If one of you sets this up and
makes a fortune, can you cut me in for 1% for providing the idea? :^)

.... I was just starting to work out what 1% of $1 billion was when I
thought I would Google "sip skype gateway"
eg
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...ll-of-voip.asp
or
http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t59496.html
.... but this runs just one connection.

I am still interested in answers to the questions :^(

Inman Harvey
Old October 18th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Inman Harvey wrote:

Skype presumably maintains its incompatibility with SIP through a
commercial calculation that it is in Skype's interests to lock in customers.

But what is to prevent someone setting up a SIP = Skype Gateway that
had eg 'sipgateway' as a skype address that could be suffixed by any
sip-address, and vice versa?

the cost / complexity of having to reverse engineer the Skype protocols
perhaps, and possible licensing / patent legal problems ? SIP is open
standard publicly defined, Skype is proprietary ie someone owns it.

Easier to wean people off Skype by pointing out that its a proprietary
monopoly - Microsoft reincarnated.

Phil

Old October 20th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:29 +0100, Inman Harvey
wrote:

But what is to prevent someone setting up a SIP = Skype Gateway that
had eg 'sipgateway' as a skype address that could be suffixed by any
sip-address, and vice versa?

I set one up when I was playing with a voip setup here. Basically, it
was a sip interface that ran a copy of skype on a pc, so although it
worked fine, it was a one call at a time solution, and the transcoding
took processor time as well as reducing quality.

I really can't see much point in it, but then again I don't use skype.