NTL port forwarding

Old October 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

Default NTL port forwarding

Hi*All,*
I*want*to*set*up*remote*access*to*my*machine*via*m y*NTL*cable**
broadband.*However,*I*cannot*find*where*to*enable* port*forwarding*on**
the*cable*modem.*
*
When*I*point*my*browser*to*192.168.100.1*I*see*a*d iagnostic*page**
listing*some*info*about*the*modem,*but*it*doesn't* allow*me*so**
configure*port*forwarding*or*any*other*settings.*
*
Does*anyone*know*where*i*can*set*port*forwarding*w ith*my*NTL*modem.**
The*model*number*is*E08C007*and*it's*connected*to* the*PC*via*ethernet.
*
*
Thanks*
Alex.*

Old October 19th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Alex" wrote in message
I want to set up remote access to my machine via my NTL cable
broadband. However, I cannot find where to enable port forwarding on
the cable modem.

You can't (and don't need to). The cable modem is not a router, it is a
bridge. Ignoring the USB functionality, it is like a two port switch, except
one of the ports is not Ethernet.

Alex

Old October 19th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex

"Alex Fraser" wrote:

You can't (and don't need to). The cable modem is not a router, it is a
bridge. Ignoring the USB functionality, it is like a two port switch, except
one of the ports is not Ethernet.

Alex

Thanks for your response Alex.
So all incoming traffic on any port will automatically go to the computer
connected to the cable modem?
I have tried accessing the PC from elsewhere but the request times out. I have
opened the appropriate port in the firewall software. could there be anything
else I might have over looked?

Thanks.

Old October 19th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pier Danone

"Alex" wrote in message
| "Alex Fraser" wrote:
|

| You can't (and don't need to). The cable modem is not a router, it is a
| bridge. Ignoring the USB functionality, it is like a two port switch, except
| one of the ports is not Ethernet.
|
| Alex
|
| Thanks for your response Alex.
| So all incoming traffic on any port will automatically go to the computer
| connected to the cable modem?
| I have tried accessing the PC from elsewhere but the request times out. I have
| opened the appropriate port in the firewall software. could there be anything
| else I might have over looked?
|
| Thanks.

Correct IP address???

Can you ping the machine from the outside world???

Old October 19th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Alex" wrote in message
"Alex Fraser" wrote:
You can't (and don't need to). The cable modem is not a router, it is a
bridge. Ignoring the USB functionality, it is like a two port switch,
except one of the ports is not Ethernet.

Thanks for your response Alex.
So all incoming traffic on any port will automatically go to the computer
connected to the cable modem?

The modem will bridge to Ethernet all frames with the MAC address of the
Ethernet card in the computer. Broadcast frames are not bridged except for
ARP and DHCP.

I have tried accessing the PC from elsewhere but the request times out. I
have opened the appropriate port in the firewall software. could there be
anything else I might have over looked?

NTL used to, and probably still do, filter out traffic on certain ports. I
don't think ports commonly used by remote access software were amongst them,
but I could be wrong or it may have changed.

Other than that, the only things I can think of are that you are trying to
connect to the wrong address, or the computer is still blocking the
traffic - eg you have both a personal firewall (which you have opened the
port in) and Windows XP's firewall (which is blocking the traffic) enabled.

Alex

Old October 19th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Oct 2006, Alex wrote:

I*want*to*set*up*remote*access*to*my*machine*via* my*NTL*cable*broadband.

The*model*number*is*E08C007*and*it's*connected*to *the*PC*via*ethernet.

If you're running Windows XP, you might want to try the (free) service at
www.logmein.com (you'd need to register with a valid e-mail address, then
'add PC' to install the software on the PC, and then from some other PC,
you _should_ be able to remote control the Win XP system remotely, just
to prove it can be done. That might be solution enough...

If you're not using Windows XP, it could help to know (a) what OS you're
using and (b) what remote control software you are wanting to use. I've
used VNC to various PCs/iMac and SSH to connect too, but we're rather in
the dark over what you want to do, and how. For example, some routers
make a distinction between TCP and UDP as well as port ranges etc. As
your PC is clearly online, you might verify that you're seeing an IP
address report via your web browser (visit http://ipcheck.dyndns.org or
see www.danasoft.com/sig/mywebpages.jpg and your IP should be reported)
just so you can be sure the PC is allocated a valid IP belonging to NTL.

(PS ignore the 'big brother is watching you' message - it was a small bit
of fun from whomever set up the account with Danasoft as a slogan shown
on viewing that graphic image which is created from details passed to
the web server from the user's browser, not really to frighten!)
Old October 31st 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

"TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services"
wrote in :

Alex wrote in
news:57310E70-77F8-4F2B-AC2D-E6880F2B83CD% :

Hi*All,*
I*want*to*set*up*remote*access*to*my*machine*via*m y*NTL*cable**
broadband.*However,

*I*cannot*find*where*to*enable*port*forwarding*on* *
the*cable*modem.*
*
When*I*point*my*browser*to*192.168.100.1*I*see*a*d iagnostic*page**
listing*some*info*about*the*modem,*but*it*doesn't* allow*me*so**
configure*port*forwarding*or*any*other*settings.*
*
Does*anyone*know*where*i*can*set*port*forwarding*w ith*my*NTL*modem.**
The*model*number*is*E08C007

*and*it's*connected*to*the*PC*via*ethernet.
*
*
Thanks*
Alex.*

The modem has no port forwarding features, as it does not act as a
firewall, it acts as a transparent node to provide connectivity. Your
port forwarding problem would probably be related to your firewall or
router settings. (where applicable)

Why do you need access to port forwarding configuration anyway? What
appears to be the problem?

Follow up to my OWN post lol

You need to set up some remote administration tool and remember to keep
checking the IP address of the ntl modem as it is DYNAMIC!

--
Kind Regards,

Alex Davies
IT & Networking Solutions Developer for Signature Networks

TGTBT Media Web Design & Hosting Services

http://www.tgtbt-online.com