More ethernet ports

Old October 19th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Delboy

Default More ethernet ports

Hi, I have a BT Voyager 2091 wireless router to which I'd like to
connect 4 devices which cannot be wireless enabled. Is it possible to
connect an ordinary Ethernet hub (or switch?) to the singe Ethernet
port on the 2091 and then connect the 4 new devices via CAT5 cable to
ports on the hub?

Old October 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com,
Delboy says...
Hi, I have a BT Voyager 2091 wireless router to which I'd like to
connect 4 devices which cannot be wireless enabled. Is it possible to
connect an ordinary Ethernet hub (or switch?) to the singe Ethernet
port on the 2091 and then connect the 4 new devices via CAT5 cable to
ports on the hub?

Do it with another router.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, 2.50 just for signing up:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old October 19th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Oct 2006, Conor wrote:

Do it with another router.

Why? Unless there's something 'odd' about the 2091 unit that it cannot
handle a multi-port hub/switch on its single port, the use of something
(which might be on the shelf, or available very cheaply - 5 or 8 ports,
for perhaps 10 to 15 pounds) simple should surely not be ruled out with
no explanation!
Old October 19th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Delboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to connect an ordinary Ethernet hub (or switch?) to the
singe Ethernet port on the 2091 and then connect the 4 new devices via
CAT5 cable to ports on the hub?

Yes (either a hub or switch), unless there is something very peculiar about
the 2091. You may need to use the uplink port on the hub/switch or use a
crossover cable.

You could use another router like Conor suggested, but in the general case
there are several reasons to prefer a hub/switch. If you have a spare router
with five or more LAN ports, you can use that as a switch to save yourself
buying anything; in that case I would recommend using the router.

Alex

Old October 20th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Delboy

Excellent, thanks for the answers guys.

I have a spare switch lying around (somewhere) so I'll press that into
action.

Thanks again.

Old October 21st 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Wade

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
. uk...
"Delboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to connect an ordinary Ethernet hub (or switch?) to the
singe Ethernet port on the 2091 and then connect the 4 new devices via
CAT5 cable to ports on the hub?

Yes (either a hub or switch), unless there is something very peculiar

about
the 2091. You may need to use the uplink port on the hub/switch or use a
crossover cable.

I have noticed that these days, even the cheaper switches often have
autosense ports

You could use another router like Conor suggested, but in the general case
there are several reasons to prefer a hub/switch. If you have a spare

router
with five or more LAN ports, you can use that as a switch to save yourself
buying anything; in that case I would recommend using the router.

If you uise use another router you will almost certainly need a cross over
cable...

Alex