Dead graphics card?

Old October 20th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Default Dead graphics card?

Last night during a reasonably routine reboot my system wouldn't
restart. No post, all fans spin up but nothing else happens.
Eventually, taking out the graphics card (Sapphire X1600 Pro AGP, 7
months old) resulted in a single post beep (presumably meaning no
graphics adapter). Trying the card in another system today gives the
same issue, no post, no boot. Not able to try another card in my
current system.

The card looks fine, fan starts (although whereas it was once near
silent it now seems to be running as fast and as noisily as it can), and
I've never had the slightest issue with it before. It must be a dead
graphics card, right? I'm presuming that's the case, but it's puzzling
that it didn't show signs of failure so I don't want to jump the gun in
spite of all the evidence pointing that way.

Finally, this was a dabs purchase and they don't seem to stock these
anymore. Any idea what happens in such a case?

cheers,

--
[ste]
Old October 20th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

[ste parker] wrote:

The card looks fine, fan starts (although whereas it was once near
silent it now seems to be running as fast and as noisily as it can), and
I've never had the slightest issue with it before. It must be a dead
graphics card, right? I'm presuming that's the case, but it's puzzling
that it didn't show signs of failure so I don't want to jump the gun in
spite of all the evidence pointing that way.

I would guess that most/many electronic failures are of the "now it
works"/"now it doesn't work" type. It's only failures due to things
like bad connections or overheating that may show symptoms before
total failure ensues.

Finally, this was a dabs purchase and they don't seem to stock these
anymore. Any idea what happens in such a case?

If it's "reasonable" for the card to last longer than it has then they
have to replace or repair or give you a full refund I think. It's up
to them which they do. My guess is that they will most likely offer
you a replacement which is equivalent or better.

--
Chris Green
Old October 20th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"[ste parker]" wrote:

wrote:
[ste parker] wrote:

Well, thanks for the reply even if I did post this to the wrong
newsgroup

Yes, I did wonder (after I'd replied) what it was doing here! :-)

I got the uk.comp.h part right, but that's all

As it happens dabs say my only option is to send it for
repair (where they'll send it to the manufacturer for repair) which will
take 4 to 6 weeks, which is a bit of a **** take.

I think you *could* claim that's unreasonable (the time that is), they
should provide you with an alternative while it's being repaired. It
depends how awkward you want to be really and how much patience you've
got.

It seems you're correct, in fact with the inconvenience card I could try
push for replacement/refund. Considering if they gave me a refund now
I'd just buy another one (or whatever's the most similar) straight back
from them it's crazy the way they expect you to hang around, at which
point I'd take my business elsewhere! As it is, the "live support"
person didn't have the authorisation to actually do any of this, so I
have to resort to email which is all too easily ignored....

Ah. This seems to be an indication not to use Dabs, if they are this difficult with
simple refunds/replacements. They *used* to be good years back, but it looks as if
they've fallen into the "take the money and deny everything" group of companies.
Thanks for the heads up though, and I hope you get the graphics card problem sorted.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old October 20th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dougal

Andrew Sayers wrote:

They *used* to be good years back, but it looks as if
they've fallen into the "take the money and deny everything" group of companies.

I wonder if this is in any way related to their current owner - BT?