network security

Old October 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to demon.local,demon.tech.pc,demon.service,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Phil Kyle

Default network security

Tony Wright verbally sodomised in
:

In message , Kate Brown
writes

However, we have just installed a new wireless gateway router and much
is made of network security. We managed for four or five years with
the old router and no encryption - the various computers all had fixed
IP addresses and it would have involved a lot of trial and error to get
on to the network. Now we use DHCP and I'm presuming it would be much
easier for someone to log onto the network.

The new machine is a Linksys WAG54GS which supports various different
types of encryption - WEP and WPA etc. It also has an option to limit
the number of machines connected.

There was some discussion on this in March 2006 when I wrote out what I
do to secure wireless networks:

=========
1. Configure the modem/router/wifi using a wired connection.
2. Switch off 'configure by wireless'
3. Switch off 'configure remotely' (WAN)
4. Configure WPA(2 if supported by all devices) 128 bit on the Wifi
interface -- use an 8 character or greater passphrase with a mix of
upper/lower case letters/numbers and don't use words/names/telephone
numbers/etc. AKA things which are vulnerable to dictionary or social
engineering attacks.
5. Restrict connections to the MAC addresses of your kit only (don't
forget to include the wired network card MAC for configuration)
6. Switch on NAT
7. Change SSID to not say the router brand or relate to house or company
-- something meaningless is good.
8. Change configuration access password and user name (where possible)
9. Switch off SSID broadcast -- if within range of another unprotected
network then on WinXP do Network Connections Wireless Connection
Properties Wireless Networks Advanced Untick the box
'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks'.
10. Consider using static IP addresses rather than DHCP and limiting the
range on the router to only permit the device addresses you use.

The above would require a skilled and determined attacker to crack IMO.
=========

Additionally, I agree with Graham about changing the Wifi channel to 1
and most of the rest of what he said.

Spanks, Tone.

--
Phil Kyle™