A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 22nd 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Bypass
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

I'd be interested in any comments from people that have first hand
experience of networking their PC's using the domestic wiring.

I'm currently looking at this kit:

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/product_f...No=PDCA2006017

In my particular situation, I want to supply broadband to a refurbished
barn, which is about 100m away from the main house. The barn takes it's
electrical supply from the house.

Since there is no land line to the barn, I would like to rely on VoIP.

I like the solution in principle, but have concerns that every time you
use an electrical appliance there will be some degradation of the
quality of service?
  #2  
Old October 22nd 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ken
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)


"Bypass" wrote in message
...
I'd be interested in any comments from people that have first hand
experience of networking their PC's using the domestic wiring.

I'm currently looking at this kit:

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/product_f...No=PDCA2006017

In my particular situation, I want to supply broadband to a refurbished
barn, which is about 100m away from the main house. The barn takes it's
electrical supply from the house.

Since there is no land line to the barn, I would like to rely on VoIP.

I like the solution in principle, but have concerns that every time you
use an electrical appliance there will be some degradation of the quality
of service?



http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link and had
plugged in and working within minutes.
For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago started
getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers, two separate
PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech support. No one could
solve the problems and thought I would need to go wired until on this NG
someone suggested these gadgets. For me now to be able to go through each
and every day with no problem is a real luxury.

Ken



  #3  
Old October 22nd 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Bypass
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

Ken wrote:


http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link and had
plugged in and working within minutes.
For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago started
getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers, two separate
PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech support. No one could
solve the problems and thought I would need to go wired until on this NG
someone suggested these gadgets. For me now to be able to go through each
and every day with no problem is a real luxury.


Ken, that's really helpful.

Are you using VoIP with these units, and if so, how is it connected up?
Can you simply plug a switch box into the Solwise adapter?
  #4  
Old October 22nd 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Bypass
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

Bypass wrote:
Ken wrote:


http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link and
had plugged in and working within minutes.
For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago
started getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers,
two separate PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech
support. No one could solve the problems and thought I would need to
go wired until on this NG someone suggested these gadgets. For me now
to be able to go through each and every day with no problem is a real
luxury.


Ken, that's really helpful.

Are you using VoIP with these units, and if so, how is it connected up?
Can you simply plug a switch box into the Solwise adapter?


Oops, bad form I know to reply to your own post, but I've now found
typical setups on Solwise's website showing the use of ethernet switches.

I'm now just looking for comments using VoIP on this type of networking.
  #5  
Old October 22nd 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
David Cook
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

Bypass wrote:
Bypass wrote:
Ken wrote:


http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link
and had plugged in and working within minutes.
For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago
started getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers,
two separate PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech
support. No one could solve the problems and thought I would need to
go wired until on this NG someone suggested these gadgets. For me now
to be able to go through each and every day with no problem is a real
luxury.


Ken, that's really helpful.

Are you using VoIP with these units, and if so, how is it connected
up? Can you simply plug a switch box into the Solwise adapter?


Oops, bad form I know to reply to your own post, but I've now found
typical setups on Solwise's website showing the use of ethernet switches.

I'm now just looking for comments using VoIP on this type of networking.


No problem, we have two. One is in our first floor home office hooked
upto an ethernet switch and broadband connection. The second is in our
ground floor lounge and is plugged into a wireless access point and
networked Tivo.

A VOIP connection from my work laptop via wireless back to the work PABX
(IAX using Idefisk soft phone) has no degradation of quality and no
drop-outs. The powerline networking adapters do just simply work
plug-n-play.

Best regards
David Cook
  #6  
Old October 22nd 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Bypass
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

David Cook wrote:


No problem, we have two. One is in our first floor home office hooked
upto an ethernet switch and broadband connection. The second is in our
ground floor lounge and is plugged into a wireless access point and
networked Tivo.

A VOIP connection from my work laptop via wireless back to the work PABX
(IAX using Idefisk soft phone) has no degradation of quality and no
drop-outs. The powerline networking adapters do just simply work
plug-n-play.


David, are you using the Solwise adapters? What speed are they?

If UK broadband is 'maxed out' at 8Mbps is there any need to get
adapters greater than 14Mbps?
  #7  
Old October 22nd 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Tony
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)

Bypass wrote on Sun, 22 Oct 2006 at 08:57:44:
In my particular situation, I want to supply broadband to a refurbished
barn, which is about 100m away from the main house. The barn takes
it's electrical supply from the house.


I'm successfully using the 14Mb/s Solwise units. My only concern is that
you should check whether there is any sort of inductive unit between a
socket in the house and a socket in the barn. A separate meter? A
Residual Current Device (RCD)? Anything with inductance in series with
the mains wiring will attenuate the Powerline signal. In my tests, they
worked well between 2 mains rings, so only a couple of Miniature Circuit
Breakers (MCBs) in between, but they failed with 2 RCBs in between.
Otherwise, I thoroughly recommend them.
--
Tony
  #8  
Old October 22nd 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ken
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)


"Bypass" wrote in message
...
David Cook wrote:


No problem, we have two. One is in our first floor home office hooked
upto an ethernet switch and broadband connection. The second is in our
ground floor lounge and is plugged into a wireless access point and
networked Tivo.

A VOIP connection from my work laptop via wireless back to the work PABX
(IAX using Idefisk soft phone) has no degradation of quality and no
drop-outs. The powerline networking adapters do just simply work
plug-n-play.


David, are you using the Solwise adapters? What speed are they?

If UK broadband is 'maxed out' at 8Mbps is there any need to get adapters
greater than 14Mbps?


The reason I got the 85Mbps is moving files from PC to PC in my small office
environment otherwise the guy from Solwise tech support said the 14Mbps
would of been fine for my usage. I also felt I needed to be as future proof
as possible.

Ken


  #9  
Old October 22nd 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ken
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)


"Bypass" wrote in message
...
Ken wrote:


http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link and
had plugged in and working within minutes.
For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago started
getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers, two
separate PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech support. No
one could solve the problems and thought I would need to go wired until
on this NG someone suggested these gadgets. For me now to be able to go
through each and every day with no problem is a real luxury.


Ken, that's really helpful.

Are you using VoIP with these units, and if so, how is it connected up?
Can you simply plug a switch box into the Solwise adapter?


No not using VoIP but others on the NG may help. Why not call the Tech
support. I did before I bought with Solwise and they were helpful.

Ken


  #10  
Old October 22nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Flyer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 95
Default Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring)


"Bypass" wrote in message
...
David Cook wrote:


No problem, we have two. One is in our first floor home office hooked
upto an ethernet switch and broadband connection. The second is in our
ground floor lounge and is plugged into a wireless access point and
networked Tivo.

A VOIP connection from my work laptop via wireless back to the work PABX
(IAX using Idefisk soft phone) has no degradation of quality and no
drop-outs. The powerline networking adapters do just simply work
plug-n-play.


David, are you using the Solwise adapters? What speed are they?

If UK broadband is 'maxed out' at 8Mbps is there any need to get adapters
greater than 14Mbps?


BE currently supplies "upto" 24Meg via their LLU sites ;-)
I think the 14Mbps kit is being succeeded by the 85 and higher, so may as
well go for the 85's.

P.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broadband distribution using Powerline (domestic wiring) Bypass uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 22 October 24th 06 06:09 PM
Max ADSL and domestic wiring Alan J. Wylie uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 April 15th 06 10:59 AM
Powerline networking T. uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 11 September 14th 05 07:59 PM
FM quality domestic "broadband"? Huck Portobello uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 27 February 10th 04 11:38 PM
Broadband distribution over 802.11g? Anyone doing this? [email protected] uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 August 11th 03 12:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.