network security

Old October 22nd 06, 05:43 PM posted to demon.local,demon.tech.pc,demon.service,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Phil Kyle

Default network security

Tony Wright verbally sodomised in
:

In message , Jeremy
Boden writes

Does wireless security actually matter?

Yes

My router does NAT,

Someone connecting via wifi puts them inside of NAT from a network
viewpoint

I'm careful about write permissions I've handed out
between computers and my single Microsoft PC has a firewall and a virus
checker on it.

Once inside of NAT, accessing machines on the local network is much
easier. The word Microsoft is the clue here...

The worst that can happen is that some guy can sit outside and get some
free broadband.

No. He can use your broadband connection to send/receive spam, viruses,
trojans, or the already mentioned kiddy porn, etc. that may get your
ADSL connection shutdown. Your ADSL IP address will get recorded as the
point of injection for the stuff sent.

My wireless router has the option to switch off DHCP and I can restrict
it to a list of ip addresses or MAC addresses if I'm feeling
particularly energetic.

These make it harder but spoofing MAC addresses is trivial and
determining the network range allowed and then using an unused IP
address (PC switched off) isn't very hard because the router will mostly
use a limited subset of ranges (192.168.*.*, 10.0.*.*, etc) and if the
SSID is not hidden and unchanged from the default then you can lookup
what to use.

Best to make it difficult in the first instance.

Spanks, Tone.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i