Spare ADSL Router

Old October 22nd 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Spare ADSL Router

Can a spare adsl modem/router be put to any decent use.

I know a cable modem/router can be plugged in the back of another and
create a second doubled NATed network but I am wondering if a second
adsl modem/router can be of any use.

Geoff Lane

Old October 22nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news
Can a spare adsl modem/router be put to any decent use.

I know a cable modem/router can be plugged in the back of another and
create a second doubled NATed network but I am wondering if a second
adsl modem/router can be of any use.

Is it wireless? I use a 'spare' Netgear as a wireless access point.

Old October 22nd 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:07:25 +0100, "Tx2"

Can a spare adsl modem/router be put to any decent use.

Is it wireless? I use a 'spare' Netgear as a wireless access point.

My own is not Wifi but my daughter's is.

I suppose the non wifi one could be used for a second network as it is
a DHCP server.

Geoff Lane

Old October 23rd 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news
Can a spare adsl modem/router be put to any decent use.

As you mentioned, a router with Ethernet WAN can have the WAN port attached
to another network, creating a second network. Obviously you can't use an
ADSL modem/router in that way, but with either type of router you can use it
as any combination of the following:
- a switch, if it has more than one Ethernet port;
- an access point, if it has wireless capability;
- (possibly) a rather large, self-powered USB Ethernet adaptor, if it has
USB connectivity.

Alex

Old October 25th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:08:47 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

but with either type of router you can use it
as any combination of the following:
- a switch, if it has more than one Ethernet port;
- an access point, if it has wireless capability;
- (possibly) a rather large, self-powered USB Ethernet adaptor, if it has
USB connectivity.

Looks like mine would be an expensive switch only...

Geoff Lane