HP laserjet2100 and 600n jetdirect card not working together

Old October 22nd 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default HP laserjet2100 and 600n jetdirect card not working together

Guys, I have a four-port home-network running behind a router. I want
to install a jetdirect 600n 3113a card which I have bought on ebay. My
printer is a laserjet2100. I can insert the card and print out a
config page which tells me that tcp/ip is enabled and also I am
getting an ip address of the form 10.x.x.x. All the other machines on
my network are assigned an IP in the form of 192.x.x.x through dhcp.
Consequently, my router does not see the jetdirect. Also, I installed
jetadmin, but cannot start it because my browser does not support the
security protocol required?
As you can see, I am at a loss - how the hell do I get this 600n 3113
card working in my environment? Any help much appreciated.
Fred

Old October 23rd 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Fred
writes
Guys, I have a four-port home-network running behind a router. I want
to install a jetdirect 600n 3113a card which I have bought on ebay. My
printer is a laserjet2100. I can insert the card and print out a
config page which tells me that tcp/ip is enabled and also I am
getting an ip address of the form 10.x.x.x. All the other machines on
my network are assigned an IP in the form of 192.x.x.x through dhcp.
Consequently, my router does not see the jetdirect. Also, I installed
jetadmin, but cannot start it because my browser does not support the
security protocol required?
As you can see, I am at a loss - how the hell do I get this 600n 3113
card working in my environment? Any help much appreciated.
Fred

Temporarily assign one of your PCs a static IP address in the same range
as the 600n, IIRC the 600n has a web interface built in so on the PC you
gave the temporary address, browse to the IP of the 600n card and make
the necessary changes to get it on your network (change IP, Subnet mask
and default gateway, save and reset). You may need to do a factory reset
on the Jetdirect if it's been password protected, Hp's website should be
able to help, not sure how you would do this on a LJ2100 as it usually
involves holding buttons on the printer down and powering it up.
--
Clint Sharp
Old October 23rd 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

Temporarily assign one of your PCs a static IP address in the same range
as the 600n, IIRC the 600n has a web interface built in so on the PC you
gave the temporary address, browse to the IP of the 600n card and make
the necessary changes to get it on your network (change IP, Subnet mask
and default gateway, save and reset). You may need to do a factory reset
on the Jetdirect if it's been password protected, Hp's website should be
able to help, not sure how you would do this on a LJ2100 as it usually
involves holding buttons on the printer down and powering it up.
--
Clint Sharp

if you've access to another HP printer of a similar vintage with an LCD
panel, it's usually easier to set the TCP/IP settings via the front
panel. Jetdirect's a bit moody sometimes...
A factory reset on the card *should* put it into DHCP so it'll pickup a
suitable local IP in your subnet - after which you may have more luck
with JD.
Note that a lot of JD cards have their own webserver, so if you can
find the IP address (check in your router's DHCP lease table, and ping
the IP to check it's live) then if you point a browser at it you'll
possibly be able to configure the printer...
Ric