sipgate drop outs

Old October 23rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Seth

Default sipgate drop outs

hi

im using a pap2 with sipgate for incoming calls and sipdiscount for
outgoing. in the pap2 settings ive set both to using only the g711u codec
for best sound quality.

the sipdiscount calls are fine but the incoming sipgate calls suffer from
drop outs on all calls. the drop outs last for 10 or so seconds every few
minutes; i can hear the caller but the sound is not continuous. ive changed
the codec to g729a and there are no drop outs but the overall sound quality
is greatly reduced, and sounds much worse than a mobile to mobile.

a month ago everything was fine it's only happened recently. has anyone
else experienced the same and or have any workarounds to this problem,

many thanks in advance

chris

Old October 23rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Seth" wrote in message
hi

im using a pap2 with sipgate for incoming calls and
sipdiscount for outgoing. in the pap2 settings ive set
both to using only the g711u codec for best sound quality.

The G711a (rather than 711u) codec is specified for UK/EU usage, but the
differences are minimal so it shouldn't make much difference. You might
want to try 711a though.

the sipdiscount calls are fine but the incoming sipgate
calls suffer from drop outs on all calls. the drop outs
last for 10 or so seconds every few minutes; i can hear
the caller but the sound is not continuous. ive changed
the codec to g729a and there are no drop outs but the
overall sound quality is greatly reduced, and sounds much
worse than a mobile to mobile.

a month ago everything was fine it's only happened
recently. has anyone else experienced the same and or
have any workarounds to this problem,

IIRC the PAP2 is functionally similar to the Sipura 2000, so the settings
should be the same. Can you post screenshots of the settings anywhere and
I'll see if I can see anything obviously wrong. I'm using a SPA2000 on
Sipgate with no current problems.

Ivor

Old October 23rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Seth" wrote in message
[...]

http://www2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cur..._settings.html

i'll have a go at the g711a and see how that goes (unless there's anything
else in the link above that you find)

much appreciated,

chris

Old October 23rd 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

i'll have a go at the g711a and see how that goes (unless
there's anything else in the link above that you find)

much appreciated,

chris

Ok, I've had a quick look.

On the System tab, nothing to do with your problem but I'd recommend you
change the port of the web server access to something other than 80 (say
81) as this will reduce the chance of it being seen from the outside
world. Also put a password in.

On the SIP page, again it may be nothing to do with the problem, but I
have all settings in the NAT Support Parameters section at the bottom of
the screen set to YES with the exception of STUN Test Enable, which should
be NO.

On the Regional tab, set Ring Waveform to Sinusoid. Also FSX port
impedance to 270+750||150nF.

Apart from that, I can't see anything obviously out of place, also none of
the above settings are critical, but at least I've told you how things are
set here.

Hope it helps..!

Ivor

Old October 23rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

[...]

I seem to have locked myself out of the setup menu. I entered the port 81
and set a user password and admin password (the same password)

now when i connect to 192.168.1.100:81 there's a menu asking:

Enter a username and password for "pap user" at http://192.168.1.100:81. if
i put the password i set in and leave the username black, i cant get in and
get the same dialog box back

hope there's a way round this!

chris

Old October 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

[...]

ok got in but not sure quite what i pressed! it may be because im accessing
the page using firefox which has the no script plug in enabled (i.e.
disabling javascript to 192.168.1.100:81) ill allow it. phew!

Old October 23rd 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris" wrote in message
news
[snip]

ok got in but not sure quite what i pressed! it may be
because im accessing the page using firefox which has the
no script plug in enabled (i.e. disabling javascript to
192.168.1.100:81) ill allow it. phew!

Hmm, I use Firefox and have never had a problem. The URL for the setup
pages is http://192.168.1.100:81/admin/advanced - if it asks you for a
username and password, the username is admin and the password whatever you
set. I have set Firefox to remember it so it just goes in every time.

Feel free to contact me off group with your SIP ID if you want to try a
test call. Email g6urp01 at googlemail dot com.

Ivor

Old October 23rd 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-10-23, Ivor Jones wrote:

Ok, I've had a quick look.

On the System tab, nothing to do with your problem but I'd recommend you
change the port of the web server access to something other than 80 (say
81) as this will reduce the chance of it being seen from the outside
world. Also put a password in.

His PAP2 is behind a NATted router. The chances of it being contacted
from other than machines on his own network are effectively zero.
If port 80 traffic to the router is directed there it's a different
matter and a secure password would be essential. Even with that I don't
see changing the port to 81 improves security.

Brian.
Old October 23rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 2006-10-23, Ivor Jones wrote:

Ok, I've had a quick look.

On the System tab, nothing to do with your problem but
I'd recommend you change the port of the web server
access to something other than 80 (say 81) as this will
reduce the chance of it being seen from the outside
world. Also put a password in.

His PAP2 is behind a NATted router. The chances of it
being contacted from other than machines on his own
network are effectively zero.
If port 80 traffic to the router is directed there it's a
different matter and a secure password would be
essential. Even with that I don't see changing the port
to 81 improves security.

Maybe, call it a belt & braces approach if you like. I'm not convinced
that NAT is 100% effective at hiding a device from outside access, my
suggestion may not make a difference but it might and doesn't cost
anything.

Ivor

Old October 24th 06, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-10-23, Ivor Jones wrote:

Ok, I've had a quick look.

On the System tab, nothing to do with your problem but I'd
recommend you change the port of the web server access to something
other than 80 (say 81) as this will reduce the chance of it being
seen from the outside world. Also put a password in.

His PAP2 is behind a NATted router. The chances of it being contacted
from other than machines on his own network are effectively zero. If
port 80 traffic to the router is directed there it's a different
matter and a secure password would be essential. Even with that I
don't see changing the port to 81 improves security.

Maybe, call it a belt & braces approach if you like. I'm not convinced
that NAT is 100% effective at hiding a device from outside access, my
suggestion may not make a difference but it might and doesn't cost
anything.

No service is being offered on port 80 of the router. Or on port 81 for
that matter. The router routes unsolicited packets to those ports to
oblivion, so any internal device listening on port 80 or 81 would get
nothing.

If the NAT implementation on the router was flawed (other than personal
conviction you offer no supporting evidence or explanation that that can
happen) it would make no difference having the ATA's web server on port
80 or 81. The cost of following such a suggestion lies in obscuring the
nature of the interaction between routers and VoIP devices.

Brian.