sky broadband - port forwarding

Old October 24th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
ric

Default sky broadband - port forwarding

Hi All,
Anyone confirm if you can use DMZ and port-forwarding with the Sky free
broadband offer?
No decent info on the web that I can find to say for definite, and
given the 12 month's lockin I don't want to be stuck with a lemon. Any
info on port blocking useful, too.
Ric

Old October 24th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Brian McIlwrath

In uk.tech.tv.sky ric wrote:
: Anyone confirm if you can use DMZ and port-forwarding with the Sky free
: broadband offer?

They are both standard features of the Netgear DG834G that Sky supplies
so I would expect that the answer is yes!
Old October 24th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Forrester

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
In uk.tech.tv.sky ric wrote:
: Anyone confirm if you can use DMZ and port-forwarding with the Sky free
: broadband offer?

They are both standard features of the Netgear DG834G that Sky supplies
so I would expect that the answer is yes!

But then the Netgear Sky supplies doesn't use all the default settings
does it?
Old October 24th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Brian McIlwrath

In uk.tech.tv.sky Colin Forrester wrote:

: But then the Netgear Sky supplies doesn't use all the default settings
: does it?

As far as I have read it is *ONLY* lacking the ADSL setup menu (and nothing
else) but perhaps someone can confirm this!
Old October 24th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
ric

But then the Netgear Sky supplies doesn't use all the default settings
does it?

Precisely. It's got Sky firmware on it. There's lots of info floating
about the net surrounding this but wanted to hear 1st hand if anyone
had had any success with this. I know the theory, just not sky's
practice!
Ric

Old October 24th 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Forrester

ric wrote:
But then the Netgear Sky supplies doesn't use all the default settings
does it?

Precisely. It's got Sky firmware on it. There's lots of info floating
about the net surrounding this but wanted to hear 1st hand if anyone
had had any success with this. I know the theory, just not sky's
practice!

And to widen the discussion then, irrespective of the router, Sky could
block certain ports in their network anyway. We need someone with
actual experience to provide the answer.
Old October 24th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Rich

Colin Forrester wrote:
ric wrote:
But then the Netgear Sky supplies doesn't use all the default settings
does it?

Precisely. It's got Sky firmware on it. There's lots of info floating
about the net surrounding this but wanted to hear 1st hand if anyone
had had any success with this. I know the theory, just not sky's
practice!

And to widen the discussion then, irrespective of the router, Sky could
block certain ports in their network anyway. We need someone with
actual experience to provide the answer.

Port-forwarding works fine on the sky router. Opened up port 50000 for
my bitorrents with no problems. Don't use DMZ but saw the option in
the router.

192.168.0.1

admin : sky

Rich

Old October 24th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Oenone

ric wrote:
Hi All,
Anyone confirm if you can use DMZ and port-forwarding with the Sky
free broadband offer?

Not wanting to pick on you in particular, but is this really the appropriate
place for questions about Sky Broadband? This is the uk.tech.*tv*.sky
newsgroup after all, not a general Sky support group.

I won't pretend that I can suggest somewhere more appropriate, but this
doesn't seem like the right place to me... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

--

(O)enone

Old October 24th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Forrester

Oenone wrote:

Not wanting to pick on you in particular, but is this really the appropriate
place for questions about Sky Broadband? This is the uk.tech.*tv*.sky
newsgroup after all, not a general Sky support group.

I won't pretend that I can suggest somewhere more appropriate, but this
doesn't seem like the right place to me... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

uk.telecom.broadband is the correct place for this type of query.