Sharing Bandwidth on Router

Old October 24th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coop

Default Sharing Bandwidth on Router

Recently bought a router from Ebuyer (manufacture - SBRU-10100 ) its a cheap
and cheerful little router and was easy to set up.

The problem i have is that as there is 3 pcs set up on it its shares the
bandwidth 3 ways regardless of if they is only 1 pc turned on. This is a
nightmare when im downloading at 3mb when it should be 10mb.

Complete noob with routers (hence me going for cheap option) - would i be
right in thinking i don't have the ability to set what bandwidth is shared
out with this router.

Coop

Old October 25th 06, 01:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 24 Oct 2006, "Coop" wrote:

The problem i have is that as there is 3 pcs set up on it its shares the
bandwidth 3 ways regardless of if they is only 1 pc turned on. This is a
nightmare when im downloading at 3mb when it should be 10mb.

Seems more likely you're only able to get the download speed of 3 Mbps not
that the router is actually limiting the traffic level... Remember if you
have 2 PCs switched off, the router isn't going to know about them anyway,
so why would it "divide by 3" (and why not divide by 4, for the other port
you don't have anything plugged into, too :-))

... would i be right in thinking i don't have the ability to set what
bandwidth is shared out with this router.

Yes, but equally, for the most part, 'domestic' routers don't do *any* of
the bandwidth sharing which you believe is happening. A few (*) report
the level of traffic to individual IP addresses on the LAN, but you'd
be looking for some really up-market model to limit traffic (it's a
question which comes up from time to time on u.t.broadband).

(*) ADSL routers, at least, 2 models I've seen have this feature.
Old October 25th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
On 24 Oct 2006, "Coop" wrote:

[...]

As far as I know the only 'domestic' routers that have bandwidth
management capabilities are the Zyxel ones, they call it "Media
Bandwidth Management". It allows you to set maximum throughput to
individual IP addresses or ranges of IP addresses on the local LAN.
There may well be other relatively 'high end' routers with this
ability but, as NoNeedToKnow says above I doubt very much if it
applies here.

What sort of ADSL do you have (to the OP)? You're very lucky if it's
capable of 10mb/s.

--
Chris Green
Old October 25th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coop

Its a cable modem wired router - so far top speed ive managed to get out of
it is 8mb on Newsbin but when i did a speed test via a website it registered
as a 10mb line.

Coop

"Coop" wrote in message
. uk...
Done a speed test and its showed a full 10mb so its Newsbin that is only
d/ling at 3mb - will google to see if i have to forward a port or
something.

Cheers for advice guys.

Coop

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Recently bought a router from Ebuyer (manufacture - SBRU-10100 ) its a
cheap
and cheerful little router and was easy to set up.

The problem i have is that as there is 3 pcs set up on it its shares the
bandwidth 3 ways regardless of if they is only 1 pc turned on. This is a
nightmare when im downloading at 3mb when it should be 10mb.

Complete noob with routers (hence me going for cheap option) - would i
be
right in thinking i don't have the ability to set what bandwidth is
shared
out with this router.

It's unusual for a router to do that by default. Throttling by LAN port
is a feature normally found on high end routers. I suggest something
else is causing your reading.
--
Regards
Jon