Sipgate and Fax, is it possible?

Old October 25th 06, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
meggahurtz

Default Sipgate and Fax, is it possible?

Just wondering if Sipgate is ok with a Fax Machine?

Old October 25th 06, 04:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"meggahurtz" wrote in message

Just wondering if Sipgate is ok with a Fax Machine?

It's not officially supported (they don't have T.38) but I've successfully
sent and received faxes using G711a. Ensure that codec is manually
selected and you should be ok (but no guarantees and it's not my fault if
it doesn't work, ok..?!)

Ivor

Old October 25th 06, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
meggahurtz

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
It's not officially supported (they don't have T.38) but I've successfully
sent and received faxes using G711a. Ensure that codec is manually
selected and you should be ok (but no guarantees and it's not my fault if
it doesn't work, ok..?!)

Ok cheers, I have a mate who`s using 2 lines on a PAP2, I set the fax one to
G711u so that needs setting to G711a :0)

Old October 25th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

meggahurtz wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
It's not officially supported (they don't have T.38) but I've successfully
sent and received faxes using G711a. Ensure that codec is manually
selected and you should be ok (but no guarantees and it's not my fault if
it doesn't work, ok..?!)

Ok cheers, I have a mate who`s using 2 lines on a PAP2, I set the fax one to
G711u so that needs setting to G711a :0)

There's a few other settings that can help as well:

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/ip...ra_linksys.pdf

It's never going to be totally reliable using a voice codec because of
the timing requirements fax needs and TDM networks offer that IP
networks can't.

cheers,
Paul.