Any thoughts on Comwave.net

Old October 25th 06, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Barnett

Default Any thoughts on Comwave.net

A Canadian colleague of mine has moved to UK and has brought an Iphone VoIP
box with her. It is supposed to plug into a router and provide a Canadian
phone number here in UK.
This service is supplied by Comwave.net
So far having followed all the instructions to the letter, the box still
won't 'Go Ready'. there is evidence of some network traffic but no ready
state.
Comwave's tech support have had a remote session with it and claim that port
5060 is blocked on the broadband - I assume that this is the conventional
port for SIP.
she is using a BT voyager 205 ADSL modem router.
has anyone had a similar problem with setting up ?

TIA,

Ron Barnett

Old October 28th 06, 02:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

On Oct 25, 6:42 pm, "Ron Barnett"
wrote:

5060 is blocked on the broadband - I assume that this is the conventional
port for SIP.
she is using a BT voyager 205 ADSL modem router.
has anyone had a similar problem with setting up ?

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...ter.how-to.php
may be helpful when its back online. The 205 is shipped without much
firewalling enabled. I have one I can try tomorrow if nobody has come
up with a better answer.

Phil

Old October 28th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Barnett

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Oct 25, 6:42 pm, "Ron Barnett"
wrote:

5060 is blocked on the broadband - I assume that this is the conventional
port for SIP.
she is using a BT voyager 205 ADSL modem router.
has anyone had a similar problem with setting up ?

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...ter.how-to.php
may be helpful when its back online. The 205 is shipped without much
firewalling enabled. I have one I can try tomorrow if nobody has come
up with a better answer.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

It is all fixed now. I found the site you recommended a few days ago - just
before the quota ran out so I have ARSE on my laptop now. Unfortunately the
Voyager 205 automatically re-inserts all the garbage rules if you use the
GUI so it wasn't totally successful in that respect. When I went back to
find more scripts the site was down.

The 'Final Solution' was that the Comwave box - a Grandstream HT 496 was
incorrectly assessing the NAT situation - possibly faulty priming by
Comwave, so it had to have full internet access in order to do its initial
download. I set up a DMZ for it and it set up itself. The problem then took
a turn for the peculiar when I accidentally wrote down the wrong phone
number that the box should represent. Calling what I thought was the box
from a UK landline or mobile produced a ring tone (but the box didn't
respond). Calling what I thought was the box from the box itself produced a
line busy so I didn't realise the error until a day or so later.

The box is now set up with two virtual servers delivering UDP and TCP on
ports 5060 and 5004.

All working fine but I'm disappointed in Comwave's tech support for not
spotting that when I gave them all the account details - username and phone
no etc they didn't spot the error or even attempt to ring the box
themselves.

Thanks again

Ron