Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts?

Old October 27th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Barnett

Default Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts?

Hello All,

I mailed the group a few days ago about problems with Comwave - and got a
zero response so maybe no-one has used them. - They are a Canadian supplier
after all.

The hardware I'm trying to get going is a Grandstream Handy Tone-495 and
these do seem to be useable on any SIP system.

The problem seems to be rooted in the box's ability (or lack of) to access a
STUN server.
The box does not detect its NAT position properly and mis-identifies itself
as being on an open internet connection. I have fooled that putting the box
in a DMZ which was enough to get it to reload it's firmware from Comwave and
I can now place calls, but not receive them !
The box now behaves the same (call out is OK but no receive) either in a
normal NAT location or in a DMZ

Anyone seen this type of problem before - any thoughts, solutions ?

TIA,

Ron Barnett
IT Support for Business
www.rjbarnett.co.uk

For labellers and labelling supplies visit www.labelzrus.co.uk

Old October 28th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Barnett

Default Grandstream HT-496 - any thoughts? - Fixed

"Ron Barnett" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

And then I discovered that is works much better if you actually use the
right phone number to call the box.

All OK now

Ron

Old December 21st 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JJ

I recently moved from YAK VOIP to comwave because YAK new owner (poor
him) decided to abandan their VOIP service by end of 2006. I had been
using YAK for 2+ years I am very satisfied with their service and
pirce, many friends of mine are YAK customers as well.

The phone adapter (LINKSYS PAP2-NA) I received from YAK could not work
with comwave (no receiving, dial out only), althought I previously was
told that it would be fine for Comwave service Tech guy from comwave
worked with me (another tech guy) for more than 4 hours in remote
control session and did not find a solution. So they decided to send me
another iphone adapter (50$ + 12$ shipping).

Two days later I called home from my office as attempt, it suprised me
that call receiving was working well. (I did not make any
changes/reboot). So I called comwave to stop sending me the new iphone
adapter. But I am not sure this will last forever or just by accident.