Sipura 942's very quiet on outgoing speech

Old October 27th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John P

Default Sipura 942's very quiet on outgoing speech

I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous
people we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased
the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

TIA

JP
Old October 31st 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"John P" wrote in message
I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

TIA

JP

If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

Liam

Old November 4th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

John P wrote:
I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people
we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the
handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.

The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.

Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.

Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be
quiet.

It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
so describe it as quiet.

Tim
Old November 5th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John P

Telephoneman wrote:
"John P" wrote in message
I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

TIA

JP

If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

Thanks - I will have a look at that.
Old November 5th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John P

Tim Bray wrote:
John P wrote:
I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous
people we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased
the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve
things ?

Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.

The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.

Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.

Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be quiet.

It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
so describe it as quiet.

Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?
Old November 14th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

John P wrote:

Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?

Yes.

Tim