XP Pro dns problem long'ish

Old October 27th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jas0n

Default XP Pro dns problem long'ish

I had a problem with someones personal laptop, an XP Pro SP2 machine on
a site running a cisco 837 adsl router.

The router is set as a bog standard nat'd broadband connection handing
out dhcp as follows:-

IP's: 192.168.25.10 to 239
Mask: 255.255.255.0
GWay: 192.168.25.2 (router internal ip)

DNS: 195.8.69.7 & 195.8.69.12 (Clara adsl line, clara dns servers)

Now, it works fine on a win2k laptop, works fine for others xp laptops
but the one I have the problem with can only reach some sites, not
others, for example can reach www.yahoo.co.uk and click on links and
have it work ok but other sites such as www.microsoft.com cant be
reached at all, times out.

The odd thing is if I swap out the router for a Speedtouch adsl router
it works fine for all sites - the only difference in config is the
speedtouch hands itself out as dns server.

I have had the cisco 837 firmware wiped and updated to current stable
and re-set back up and its the same.

Ive checked laptop for malware, virus, etc - cant see any issues.

Ive since had the cisco reconfigured to be dns server and hand itself
out as dns server same as speedtouch but I havent been able to test this
yet but other than that im stumped as to why this laptop cant seem to
work with the cisco router setup as standard with isp's dns servers.

I tried using opendns servers as well as others.

Also, checked Mozilla when thinking it was malware but thats the same,
all works fine when I swap for the speedtouch which causes me problems
elsewhere as the speedtouch doesnt work well with vpn pass through which
I need the cisco for!

Any ideas? Im hoping the cisco being dns server will sort it but its not
a resolution, just a work around, if it works that is!

Old October 27th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:56:40 +0100, jas0n wrote:

[...]

I've had similar problems on both Netgear and Linksys routers and
solved them by letting the router act as the DNS server.

Perhaps someone can explain this but if I put the Ntl DNS entries in
my PC it will start to flake on some sites. Page cannot be displayed
messages etc but as soon as I change it to my router's IP it works
fine!

cheers,
Len
Old October 30th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

Any ideas? Im hoping the cisco being dns server will sort it but its not
a resolution, just a work around, if it works that is!

MTU? set it on client using TCP Optimizer or similar...

Old October 30th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On 30 Oct 2006 04:04:57 -0800, "ric"
wrote:

Any ideas? Im hoping the cisco being dns server will sort it but its not
a resolution, just a work around, if it works that is!

MTU? set it on client using TCP Optimizer or similar...

Should also have said that I set the MTU manually on the router to
1500 as that is what the status page shows.

cheers,
Len
Old October 30th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

wrote:

Any ideas? Im hoping the cisco being dns server will sort it but its not
a resolution, just a work around, if it works that is!

MTU? set it on client using TCP Optimizer or similar...

Should also have said that I set the MTU manually on the router to
1500 as that is what the status page shows.

cheers,
Len

for ADSL, try 1492 on router *and* on the clients...I know it
*shouldn't* fix it, but I'd wager it will..!

Ric