NTL & Skype & packet loss.

Old October 28th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default NTL & Skype & packet loss.

Hello,

1Mb NTL cable connection & latest version of Skype here. I used it for
the first time this evening and it was OK for listening but apparently
it is not too great when I talk - I looked at a few forum suggestions
which concerned packet loss, mine was reported at about 20%.

Is there any way of improving this? I did a speed check thing, I have
120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers.

--
Roger Melly
conkersack yahoo com

Old October 29th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve in Herts

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:07:52 GMT, alexd wrote:

wrote:

I did a speed check thing, I have
120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.

What service are you on? 120k sounds a little low for broadband, although
I'm not familiar with NTL's service offerings.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

I would check that you're not using your upstream bandwidth on other
applications when trying to Skype.

The IMb service has a 128kb/s upstream limit. NTL are close to
upgrading all of their 1Mb customers to 2Mb so the upstream limit will
also increase.
Old October 29th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

1Mb NTL cable connection & latest version of Skype here. I used it for
the first time this evening and it was OK for listening but apparently
it is not too great when I talk - I looked at a few forum suggestions
which concerned packet loss, mine was reported at about 20%.

Is there any way of improving this? I did a speed check thing, I have
120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers.

--
Roger Melly
conkersack yahoo com

Have exactly the same problem here.
The packet loss is nothing to do with VoIP. I discovered this by
chance when sending a large email containing pictures.

Since NThelL/Blueyonder upgraded the servers to accommodate
4/10 Meg access the packet loss problem arose.

Research has largely proven that those suffering from this fault
are using Terayon Terrajet cable modems, usually the TJ210
model. As this model can handle far greater upload and download
speeds than those available on NThelL or Blueyonder, it is reasonable
to assume that the upgrade has not included all the protocols used
by the equipment supplied by the provider. (mine worked fine until
the "upgrade")

The next problem is getting the ISP to acknowledge the fault. Even
if you're lucky enough to reach a "Tech Support" bod in the UK, they'll
only PING your modem with 64 bits of data. The packet loss occurs
once 64K is reached.

I have had my coaxial cable replaced between the house and street.
(A real bodge up)
A thorough test carried out between the house and street cabinet,
and house, cabinet and exchange. All of which have not improved
the service in any way, if anything degrading it after the bodge up.

I finally convinced "Tech Support" to replace the modem when they
couldn't PING the modem. (Use your imagination) However, three
appointments have yet to materialise in an engineer arriving.
The ISP also refuse to supply a cable modem by post/courier
for self installation.

Personally, I can't loose any more time from work or be available
at an hour suitable for another visit for the foreseeable future, therefore
I'm in the process of changing provider.

IF ANY NTL.BLUEYONDER personal read this, please raise an
issue with the company before you employer looses all of its
customers and result in you loosing your job.

Common Sense must prevail and will return, sometime.

Old October 29th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
while.

I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
soon.

But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?

Thanks again.

--
Roger Melly
conkersack yahoo com

Old October 29th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
while.

I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
soon.

But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?

Thanks again.

--
Roger Melly
conkersack yahoo com

READ MY REPLY!

Old October 29th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
while.

I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
soon.

But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?

voice bandwidth varies depending on connectivity - 3 to 16 Kbytes / sec
http://support.skype.com/index.php?_...al %3C%2Fa%3E

since they dont seem to document the mechanism, it may be an inappropriate
choice by the software.

the only real way to tell is to measure what is actually used - some
firewalls such as Kerio will give the current bandwidth use for a TCP or UDP
connection.

http://support.skype.com/index.php?_...tails&_i=8 31

Thanks again.

--
Roger Melly
conkersack yahoo com

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old October 29th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Nick wrote:

READ MY REPLY!

I did, thanks. Which provider are you switching to?

Old October 30th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Nick wrote:

The next problem is getting the ISP to acknowledge the fault. Even
if you're lucky enough to reach a "Tech Support" bod in the UK, they'll
only PING your modem with 64 bits of data. The packet loss occurs
once 64K is reached.

I presume you're trying to use IP with this thing right? Don't forget IP
headers only have 16 bits to specify the length of the packets with.

Personally, I can't loose any more time from work or be available
at an hour suitable for another visit for the foreseeable future,
therefore I'm in the process of changing provider.

IF ANY NTL.BLUEYONDER personal read this, please raise an
issue with the company before you employer looses all of its
customers and result in you loosing your job.

Common Sense must prevail and will return, sometime.

So stop wasting your time and buy one on eBay. Job done.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:30:56 up 6 days, 5:16, 3 users, load average: 3.00, 3.07, 3.07