got telewest b/b - want to do voip

Old October 29th 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default got telewest b/b - want to do voip

hi everyone

I have telewest b/b (4meg) and as I am a light phone user would like to
goto voip and do away with the high telewest line rental/ high call
charges etc. most of my calls are national/local with occasional
mobiles.

I have played around with skype and tesco packages , but I now need to
know, what are the options for a voip service when the PC is off. Do i
have to buy a draytek router, or are there any alternatives, what
hardware would they require and what are the charges ?

Ian

Old October 29th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
hi everyone

I have telewest b/b (4meg) and as I am a light phone user
would like to goto voip and do away with the high
telewest line rental/ high call charges etc. most of my
calls are national/local with occasional mobiles.

I have played around with skype and tesco packages , but
I now need to know, what are the options for a voip
service when the PC is off. Do i have to buy a draytek
router, or are there any alternatives, what hardware
would they require and what are the charges ?

Ian

How long is a piece of string..?! There are many providers with as many
charging schemes and there are an equally large number of hardware
devices.

Personally, I use www.sipgate.co.uk and www.gradwell.co.uk but there are
oodles of others which someone will be along shortly to tell you about..!
Regarding hardware, my personal recommendation is the Fritz!Box range from
AVM - www.avm.de/en

Ivor

Old October 29th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"PhilT" wrote in message
one option would be to get an IAX phone or an IAX ATA to use with the
Tesco service.

How much are these, these days?

Perhaps the OP could also consider a device such as a Linksys/Sipura
SPA1001..?

They're a reasonable price here
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...e4388fa32106b2
however, I am not sure if they're locked to Orbtalk or not......also,
there's a less than glowing review on the site (about bbstuff that is, not
the SPA).

Old October 29th 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

basically, it seems that I am looking at both a router, and some kind
of adapter if i wish to maintain my present handset. Am I correct ?

jeez this is complex

Old October 29th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Ivor Jones wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi all

Ive just recently bought linksys spa2102 from broadband stuff and that
was not locked.
I use it on sipgate with a geograpical number, its plugged into a
netgear router as my set up is hard wired, no problems so far.

Old October 29th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 29 Oct 2006 06:56:12 -0800, wrote:

hi everyone

I have telewest b/b (4meg) and as I am a light phone user would like to
goto voip and do away with the high telewest line rental/ high call
charges etc. most of my calls are national/local with occasional
mobiles.

I have played around with skype and tesco packages , but I now need to
know, what are the options for a voip service when the PC is off. Do i
have to buy a draytek router, or are there any alternatives, what
hardware would they require and what are the charges ?

Ian

I am on cable and I use VoIP alone with no landline. I am very pleased
with it and much prefer it to having a landline with BT or cable.
You don't say what equipment you have already. For example, do you
have a router with a spare output or do you just have the cable modem?
If you haven't yet purchased a modem then it is prefereable that you
look for one with QoS (Quality of Service). However, this is not
essential as, with a 4MB connection it probably, in practice, will
make little diference.
Once you have a router then you have a choice of ATAs to go at.
Personally I like the Linksys/Sipura ATAs. The advantage of these ATAs
is the way in which you can construct the dial plan.
Ivor, who posts here regularly, likes the Fritzbox - he is the expert
on that one.

The SPA-3000 is the most versatile of the Linksys/Sipura ATAs. It does
have a port for a landline connection that you won't need.
It is single VoIP line only.
The SPA-1001 has two lines but these output to ONE set of handsets.
The PAP-2 has two separate lines. (if you purchase one of these make
sure that it isn't locked to a provider and DON'T buy one second hand
as it may have been previously locked.)
As I stated earlier the SPA-3000 is the mosr versatile as it allows up
to 5 different outgoing providers but ONE incoming line.
As far as VSPs are concerned I would recommend
voip.co.uk for outgoing UK calls but also look at voipfone.co.uk
For international calls take a look at foriegn VSPs as well as UK as
they can often be much cheaper.

There is a version of the SPA-3000 that has a router built in (just
one output, for the computer, afaik). However, as it uses PPoE I am
unsure as to how well the router will work in this country. Hence my
preference to having a separate router.
b.t.w I have measured the power consumption when running a cable
modem, Netgear router, Sipura SPA-3000 and a DECT base station over a
month. The combined cost of running them comes to about 1/month - far
less than running a computer for Skype which amounts to about 5
without a monitor running.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
25/10/2006:Symantec charge exactly as much in GB pounds as they do
in US$ for the same Norton DOWNLOAD.
It's goodbye Norton - hello free AVG until they stop ripping us off.
Why should we be ripped off in the UK?
Old October 29th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

all the equipment I have now is a surfboard SB4100 cable modem supplied
by Telewest which is several years old - it has a spare port - USB
"type b" I think. The other port feeds to the PC which has an ethernet
connection on the m/b.

I have a traditional phone handset with a BT extension plug (not RJ11),
as well as a E337 USB phone which came as part of the Tesco package -
and i have upgraded it with the US Robotics firmware.

what else would I need to get me up and running ?

ian

PhilT wrote:
wrote:
basically, it seems that I am looking at both a router, and some kind
of adapter if i wish to maintain my present handset. Am I correct ?

we don't know what you have now - a cable router or a single ethernet
connection to a PC ?

when you say "maintian my present handset" do you mean a cheap plastic
USB soundcard made to look like a phone, or a traditional telephone you
plug into a wall socket ?

If you have to buy a router one with VoIP built in may make sense
(small or zero extra cost) but it won't work with Tesco or Shype so you
need to discover other options like voip.co.uk voipfone.co.uk
voiptalk.co.uk or the less reliable IME sipgate.co.uk

Sorry, but TCP/IP networking and VoIP technology stil isn't on the
national curriculum.

Phil

Old October 29th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

formulated the question :
PhilT wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Unless you have (or get) TW's gaming pack, you can use one or the
other, not both.

I have a traditional phone handset with a BT extension plug (not RJ11),
as well as a E337 USB phone which came as part of the Tesco package -
and i have upgraded it with the US Robotics firmware.

what else would I need to get me up and running ?

ian

Well, the Fritz!Box that's been mentioned that's sold in the UK is for
ADSL, not cable.

You could look at a Sipura/linksys SPA3102 which would sit between your
modem & PC.....and sit between your landline socket (if you retain it)
& BT type handset. The connected handset would have access to both VoIP
& fixed lines.

If you choose something like a Linksys/Sipura SPA1001, a PAP2, or
SPA2002, you would need to buy a router as well (the 3102 has one built
in)