speech delay

Old October 29th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

Default speech delay

Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call using
sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Old October 29th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh speckled hen:
Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call using
sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Try using G711a codec only, there shouldn't be any noticable delay.
Old October 29th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...
Thus spaketh speckled hen:
Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call using
sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Try using G711a codec only, there shouldn't be any noticable delay.

Yet you posted the above @ 19:42 on 29 October 2006?

"speckled hen" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 29th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Nick:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message .uk...
Thus spaketh speckled hen:
Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call
using sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Try using G711a codec only, there shouldn't be any noticable delay.

Yet you posted the above @ 19:42 on 29 October 2006?

Showing up as 29/10/2006 20:10 to me, 6 minutes after your post.

Current time and date on PC correct roughly 21:15

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old October 30th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Nick:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message .uk...
Thus spaketh speckled hen:
Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call
using sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Try using G711a codec only, there shouldn't be any noticable delay.

Yet you posted the above @ 19:42 on 29 October 2006?

Showing up as 29/10/2006 20:10 to me, 6 minutes after your post.

Current time and date on PC correct roughly 21:15

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Old October 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
speckled hen

speckled hen wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Nick:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in
message .uk...
Thus spaketh speckled hen:
Hi
after a bit of playing around I have managed to get my linksys 2102
working with my netgear dg834, only prob I am getting now is an
annoying delayed speech to the distant end on an out going call
using sipgate.
Is this something that can be changed on the programming side or is
this just one of the downfalls of voip.

Thanks

Try using G711a codec only, there shouldn't be any noticable delay.

Yet you posted the above @ 19:42 on 29 October 2006?

Showing up as 29/10/2006 20:10 to me, 6 minutes after your post.

Current time and date on PC correct roughly 21:15

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

its already on G711a, could high activity on other ports on the router
be causing it?

Old November 4th 06, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

speckled hen wrote:

its already on G711a, could high activity on other ports on the router
be causing it?

Yes, this is your most probable cause.

If you can ping your voip providers server.

Try a ping with all other devices disconnected and switched off (so no
other traffic)

Then try a ping with normal traffic. If you see a big difference, then
you know the cause.

Also, you can compare the ping time with no traffic with the ping time
when you are making a voip call. If a big difference here, your
connection doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the call.

Tim