SPA1001 / Sipgate - open line?

Old October 31st 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Default SPA1001 / Sipgate - open line?

For no apparent reason - without any intervention, people are telling
me that they cannot get a call through to my Sipghate phone and all
calls made to my sipgate number fail to ring but go direct to
voicemail. (It's true, I tried it with my mobile)

My SPA 1001 ATA shows a permenant connection to a line - constant green
light.

I cannot get a dial tone unless I reboot the SPA and even that is not
guaranteed.

If I make a call to (say my mobile) via Sipgate, I can hang up the
house (Sipgate) phone - but the mobile continues to ring as if the call
is still in progress. After that, the SPA1001 registers the solid green
light indicating an open line.

If I ring **** on the handset to get into the Sipura menu, all is well
except that I cannot 'hang up'. I can stop the phone - but if I pick it
up again, I'm still in the menu!

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of days - since the
problem began, every 8 minutes, my Sipgate account shows an 0800 number
being dialled (it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one in the house
has physically dialled the number.

Any ideas folks?

Old October 31st 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of days - since the
problem began, every 8 minutes, my Sipgate account shows an 0800 number
being dialled (it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one in the house
has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another location
Go to my account - edit data and change the password and
see if it stops.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old October 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Graham" wrote in message

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of
days - since the problem began, every 8 minutes, my
Sipgate account shows an 0800 number being dialled
(it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one in the house
has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another
location Go to my account - edit data and change the
password and see if it stops.

That shouldn't affect it, Sipgate permit call forking, where you can be
logged on simultaneously at two or more locations. Each can make a call
and both ring on incoming calls, the first to pick up gets the call.

I use this facility regularly when I travel; my home systems remain on and
I either use an SPA-1001 or X-Pro on my laptop, never had a problem yet.

I wonder if it could be a configuration problem, has it always been the
same or has the problem come on suddenly..? Have you changed anything in
the SPA-1001 config..? If you can post screenshots somewhere or
alternatively email them to me (g6urp01 at googlemail dot com) I'll have a
look and compare them to mine.

Ivor

Old October 31st 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Graham pretended :
I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of days - since the
problem began, every 8 minutes, my Sipgate account shows an 0800 number
being dialled (it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one in the house
has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another location
Go to my account - edit data and change the password and
see if it stops.

I'm not sure you can change the SIP password.....can you?

Clearly, the login password can be changed, however cannot see how to
change the SIP password...

When I read the OP's post, I thought exactly the same as you,
initially, although that doesn't explain why he can't exit the menu by
hanging up the phone.

Old October 31st 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

It happens that Ivor Jones formulated :
"Graham" wrote in message

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of
days - since the problem began, every 8 minutes, my
Sipgate account shows an 0800 number being dialled
(it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one in the house
has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another
location Go to my account - edit data and change the
password and see if it stops.

That shouldn't affect it, Sipgate permit call forking, where you can be
logged on simultaneously at two or more locations. Each can make a call and
both ring on incoming calls, the first to pick up gets the call.

I think the fact that, in the Sipgate account, the OP can see a number
being dialed every 8 minutes that he isn't dialling, might have
something to do with Graham's suspicions.

Old October 31st 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

But who is making the forking 0800 calls.
(sorry, I couldn't resist).

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 31st 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

I'm not sure you can change the SIP password.....can you?

I forgot about that, Sipgate uses those cryptic 8 chatacter passwords
different from your logon.

Clearly, the login password can be changed, however cannot see how to
change the SIP password...

When I read the OP's post, I thought exactly the same as you, initially,
although that doesn't explain why he can't exit the menu by hanging up the
phone.

No but he may be unlucky enough to have two separate problems,
Halloween and all.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 31st 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Graham" wrote in message

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple
of days - since the problem began, every 8 minutes,
my Sipgate account shows an 0800 number being
dialled (it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one
in the house has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another
location Go to my account - edit data and change the
password and see if it stops.

That shouldn't affect it, Sipgate permit call forking,
where you can be logged on simultaneously at two or
more locations. Each can make a call and both ring on
incoming calls, the first to pick up gets the call.

I think the fact that, in the Sipgate account, the OP can
see a number being dialed every 8 minutes that he isn't
dialling, might have something to do with Graham's
suspicions.

Ok, then the "Devices" link on the account main page will show if another
user is logged in, also the IP address. See if that (if present) is a
known one, then we can go from there.

Ivor

Old October 31st 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Graham" wrote in message

But who is making the forking 0800 calls.
(sorry, I couldn't resist).

Sorry, I missed that bit. Go to the Device Details link on the main
account page, that will tell you if another user is logged in or not.

Is the 0800 number one that is known to you, have you ever called it
legitimately..? Is it stored in a memory/speed dial somewhere..?

Ivor

Old November 1st 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Graham wrote:

I don't know if this is connected, but for a couple of days - since
the problem began, every 8 minutes, my Sipgate account shows an
0800 number being dialled (it's 0800 to a fax machine) - yet no-one
in the house has physically dialled the number.

I would be worried about that.
It sounds to me like someone is logged on at another location
Go to my account - edit data and change the password and
see if it stops.

I had one of those 'Eureaka' moments as i woke up this morning. Sad, I
know but perhaps i was dreaming about the issue?

On my way to bed last night, having pulled the power out of the ATA box
to disable the phones in light of some of the posts in response to my
thread, I noticed two things.

Firstly, one of the house phones chirped. They tend to do this when one
is being used to dial out - and yet nobody but myself was awake in the
house and nobody was dialling out.
Secondly, I noticed a tiny green light on my Sky Plus box - never
noticed this beofree - but it turns out to be an 'on line' indicator.

As I woke this morning, it suddenly dawned on me that the two were
relative to the problem.

It turns out that the sky box is pluged into the Sipgate phone line in
the house (one of the house sockets) and had been aditionally plugged
into the defunct NTL telecom wall box.

The NTL wall box was generating a dial tone - and that was the problem.

The NTL dial tone was being shunted around ther house to the SPA1001
ATA - hence the constant open line and the 94 dialled 0800 numbers
(sounded like a fax) was the SKY box trying to update itself..... but
couldn't get a line hence the redials (94 of them).

Remove the plug from the NTL wall socket and everything returned to
normal - Sipgate now works as before - the incoming calls get through -
the line is free and everything works perfectly. ..... well almost - I
still suffer the dropped conversations some times.

A big thanks folks for your suggestions and assistance - but it goes to
show that it's often something so simple that causes the biggest
problems! (and a good nights sleep sorts them out!)

Regards

Mick