Which Modem/Router

Old November 1st 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

Default Which Modem/Router

The time has come to look at which model to buy. I need to replace my
wireless modem/router with a new one and was looking for
recommendations. I need 4 wired RJ45 sockets plus 802.11G wireless
access which is happy to work with either Windows Vista and XP. I use
a fixed workstation and need wireless access for four laptops
including one Apple MAC. I want something decent because I live in a
very old large house with very thick stone walls. I need decent
security on it even though I have no neighbours near enough to
benefit! I have a BT ADSL enabled line for broadband Internet access.
Any relevant info would be welcomed. If you need any more info, just
ask. TIA.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0644-4, 31/10/2006
Tested on: 01/11/2006 20:34:43

Old November 1st 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:34:42 +0000, Ian Pollard
wrote:

The time has come to look at which model to buy. I need to replace my
wireless modem/router with a new one and was looking for
recommendations. I need 4 wired RJ45 sockets plus 802.11G wireless
access which is happy to work with either Windows Vista and XP. I use
a fixed workstation and need wireless access for four laptops
including one Apple MAC. I want something decent because I live in a
very old large house with very thick stone walls. I need decent
security on it even though I have no neighbours near enough to
benefit! I have a BT ADSL enabled line for broadband Internet access.
Any relevant info would be welcomed. If you need any more info, just
ask. TIA.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0644-4, 31/10/2006
Tested on: 01/11/2006 20:34:43

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS and I'm very happy with it. Seems to give
good WIFI coverage and decent security but my walls aren't that
thick!!

cheers,
Len
Old November 2nd 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Pollard

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:56:54 GMT, Len Cuff
wrote:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS and I'm very happy with it. Seems to give
good WIFI coverage and decent security but my walls aren't that
thick!!

cheers,
Len

Len
Thanks for that. Does your router also have a built in modem
for broadband ISP access via ADSL?

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0645-0, 01/11/2006
Tested on: 02/11/2006 10:33:39

Old November 2nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

wrote:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS and I'm very happy with it. Seems to give
good WIFI coverage and decent security but my walls aren't that
thick!!

cheers,
Len

Len
Thanks for that. Does your router also have a built in modem
for broadband ISP access via ADSL?

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0645-0, 01/11/2006
Tested on: 02/11/2006 10:33:39

I'm using it on an Ntl broadband connection so through the ethernet
wan port but I believe there is the same router with ADSL built in.
Have a look through the Linksys site. They may not be the best but
this one has been fine since I managed to toast a Netgear one while
doing a flash upgrade!

cheers,
Len
Old November 3rd 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
linker3000

Ian Pollard wrote:
The time has come to look at which model to buy. I need to replace my
wireless modem/router with a new one and was looking for
recommendations. I need 4 wired RJ45 sockets plus 802.11G wireless
access which is happy to work with either Windows Vista and XP. I use
a fixed workstation and need wireless access for four laptops
including one Apple MAC. I want something decent because I live in a
very old large house with very thick stone walls. I need decent
security on it even though I have no neighbours near enough to
benefit! I have a BT ADSL enabled line for broadband Internet access.
Any relevant info would be welcomed. If you need any more info, just
ask. TIA.

Ian

If you're up to a bit of firmware upgrading, you might consider dd-wrt
or open-wrt firmware on a suitable wifi router - that way you get a
decent OS and can generally crank up the transmit power (within reason)
- might be worth a Google and having a look at the relevant forums.

I reflashed an Asus WL-500 premium with dd-wrt for use as a wifi hotspot
in a public building - working fine.