Fax to email (and vice versa)

Old November 3rd 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Default Fax to email (and vice versa)

[please followup appropriately to uk.telecom or uk.telecom.voip]

I'm looking for a fax to email service, and possibly an email to fax service
too. Something like:

Geographic UK or US number (it's all international so maybe US is better)
Preferably receive as PDF not TIFF
Outbound costs approaching those of VOIP/dialthroughs (rather than BT's
silly rates as many seem to)
Actually works (I never got fax modems to work, there was always a problem)

Any suggestions? Most of the UK ones seem to be based around 08xx numbers
which I've had trouble with internationally in the past.

I was wondering whether this might work somehow with one of the VOIP
providers somehow? Is there any (pref. Linux) software out there that does
this sort of gatewaying that I could hook up to a VOIP provider who could
cope with faxes. Or does a VOIP provider have such packages included? I
notice voiptalk.org does fax2email - but it's unclear what else I would have
to sign up to. The same goes for voipfone.co.uk. Perhaps I'd be better off
with a US VOIP provider given I don't need a UK number?

Thanks,
Theo
Old November 3rd 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

You could try speaking to someone at www.inweb.co.uk

I use them for 0800 and 0870 fax to email, which arrives on my pda as a
pdf file (I could choose tiff instead I think).

They may well also offer UK geographic fax to email, but I'm not sure
about US numbers?

Regards

Simon Clark
Business Telecoms

Old November 7th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

wrote:
You could try speaking to someone at
www.inweb.co.uk

I use them for 0800 and 0870 fax to email, which arrives on my pda as a
pdf file (I could choose tiff instead I think).

They may well also offer UK geographic fax to email, but I'm not sure
about US numbers?

Thanks... I think I'm going to try Gradwell:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/fax2email.php
Sending faxes is expensive but there's a low cost per month, so as it's not
going to get used very much it's probably better than paying more. They
don't do PDF, which is a bit of a pain though. I'm wondering if I can rig
up a mail filter script that pulls out all the TIFF attachments from an
email and inserts them into a PDF then forwards the PDF.

http://web2.yac.com/fax/Introduction.do
looks interesting too, though 6ukp/month is a bit too pricey for me.

Theo
Old November 7th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Bob Goulden

or try

www.contactnumbers.com

totally free & set up in 24 hrs

Old November 7th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom Bob Goulden wrote:

or try

www.contactnumbers.com

That's an 0870, which isn't terribly good if you want a number to be called
from abroad.

It's well hidden but efax.com offer a free option (with emailed adverts, I
think)
https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
They give you an 0871 if you ask for a UK number, but when I asked for a US
they gave me one in +1 (309) which is Peoria, Illinois. I'm using this to
test for the moment.

Theo
Old November 9th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Theo Markettos wrote:
It's well hidden but efax.com offer a free option (with emailed adverts, I
think)
https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree

Hmm... it's not that wonderful because they send out faxes in proprietary
..efx format, which can only be read by installing their (Windows-only)
program. There's a web interface too, but faxes are deleted from that after
31 days.

Also I discover 18185 isn't reliable enough to send faxes (to my test number
in the US, anyway). Are there any dialthroughs that support faxing? Or
VOIP providers?

Thanks
Theo
Old November 10th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

On 09 Nov 2006 10:12:16 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

There's a web interface too, but faxes are deleted from that after
31 days.

They're the company we used to use, till they changed our fax number
after giving less than a week's notice.
Old November 14th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

wrote:
They're the company we used to use, till they changed our fax number
after giving less than a week's notice.

Hmm... Googling revealed this happened in ~2000 too. Steer clear, I think.

Now I'm trying
http://www.popfax.com/
1.99 EUR for a week trial/short term account
17.99 EUR for 3 months
49.99 EUR for a year
0.05 EUR per page (from Web only for trial week, mail2fax on a longer
subscription)

And they deliver PDFs or TIFFs to your mailbox, or you can download them
from their web interface. Give out geographic UK numbers (I've got
020 808xxxxx) as well as France/Germany/Italy/Spain/Romania/Moldova (the last
two are odd, but apparently they're trying to break into Eastern Europe).
They also do SMS alerts when an incoming fax is received, which is quite
handy (chargeable, but can't work out how much)

Accept a quite varied selection of files for sending (including MS Office
and OpenOffice documents as well as PDF/PS).

Looks promising - I'll see how it goes...

Theo
Old November 15th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

On 14 Nov 2006 11:44:18 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Hmm... Googling revealed this happened in ~2000 too.

I think that's when I was referring to. It was a while ago. I'll not
forgive them this century, though.