AVM: Fritz!Box Fon 7140

Old November 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

Default AVM: Fritz!Box Fon 7140

Anyone have experience with the 7140? Was contemplating getting a 7050
but this one has a USB port for printers etc as well. Want it for VoIP
and wireless.

It's available here in the Netherlands but I don't know about the UK
yet. Info here..

http://www.callvoip.nl/docs/fritz/fb..._datasheet.pdf
Old November 4th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Fritz!Box Fon 7140

"Stu" wrote in message

Anyone have experience with the 7140? Was contemplating
getting a 7050 but this one has a USB port for printers
etc as well. Want it for VoIP and wireless.

It's available here in the Netherlands but I don't know
about the UK yet. Info here..

http://www.callvoip.nl/docs/fritz/fb..._datasheet.pdf

I believe that Sipgate will be selling the 7140 soon, but personally I'm
waiting for the 7170. Just out in Germany so hopefully here soon.

Ivor

Old November 4th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
I believe that Sipgate will be selling the 7140 soon, but personally I'm
waiting for the 7170. Just out in Germany so hopefully here soon.

I just switched today my 7050 for the 7170 (german version)
only noticeable difference: the USB Port is not just to connect 1 PC, but it
is a system Port:
* you can add up to 4 harddrives (or memory sticks)
* 1 USB Printer (of course via a USB hub if more devices)
* the Drives can be read/write from the local network, but also from the
Internet (via ftp + password protected)

Other minor changes:
* 4 LAN Ports in stead of 2 (not really usefull, you can use a switch if
you need more Ports)
* to save space, they now combined ADSL + ISDN + PSTN in 1 RJ45
conncetor, with very unusual wiring
ADSL: pin 4+5 (this is the only normal pin configuration: ADSL on
the 2 middle pins)
ISDN: pin 1-2-7-8 (not the usual ISDN pin configuration)
analogue: pin 3+6 (this could fit a RJ11, with first and last pin
connected in setad of the 2 middle)
* WLAN on/off switch

I preferred the old model, with separated ADSL and ISDN connectors (don't
need the 4 LAN ports)
The real difference between 7050 and 7170 is the USB port for sharing
network drives and printers

Old November 4th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Philippe Deleye"
wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Phillipe,

Thanks for the info. The 4 LAN ports is important to me, I need the space
currently taken up by the switch I'm using, it's also one less power
supply..! I don't have ISDN so the combined port isn't a problem. I
already have 2 300GB NAS drives which have USB ports on, so I don't need
the USB port on the Fritz!Box, but it's a nice touch.

The 7140 doesn't have three VoIP phone ports, which is what I need,
coupled with the 4 LAN ports this is why I want the 7170.

Ivor

Old November 4th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

I just switched today my 7050 for the 7170 (german version)
only noticeable difference: the USB Port is not just to connect 1 PC, but it
is a system Port:
* you can add up to 4 harddrives (or memory sticks)
* 1 USB Printer (of course via a USB hub if more devices)
* the Drives can be read/write from the local network, but also from the
Internet (via ftp + password protected)

Curious if these boxes are IPV6 upgradeable.

Can the 7170 be used as a router/ATA without the ADSL modem part? I may
switch to a cable modem in the future. According to
http://www.callvoip.nl/fritz.php they are modular. Just wanted confirmation.

I hope the 7170 (7140) works with any wireless card, not just the
FRITZ!WLAN USB-stick adapter?

Here in NL they sell the international version of the 7140 so I guess
any voice instructions are in English. Can't imagine they'd do one for
the Dutch market.

Stu
Old November 4th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stu" wrote in message

I just switched today my 7050 for the 7170 (german
version) only noticeable difference: the USB Port is not just to
connect 1 PC, but it is a system Port:
* you can add up to 4 harddrives (or memory sticks)
* 1 USB Printer (of course via a USB hub if more
devices) * the Drives can be read/write from the local
network, but also from the Internet (via ftp + password
protected)

Curious if these boxes are IPV6 upgradeable.

Can the 7170 be used as a router/ATA without the ADSL
modem part? I may switch to a cable modem in the future.
According to http://www.callvoip.nl/fritz.php they are
modular. Just wanted confirmation.

Yes. All the Fritz!Box range can.

I hope the 7170 (7140) works with any wireless card, not
just the FRITZ!WLAN USB-stick adapter?

I would assume so, it behaves as a wireless access point like any other,
except that it comes with security switched on by default, unlike most
other products.

Here in NL they sell the international version of the
7140 so I guess any voice instructions are in English. Can't imagine
they'd do one for the Dutch market.

What do you mean by "international" version..? AFAIK they are sold in two
versions, Annex A for POTS lines and Annex B for ISDN as in Germany. In my
original non-wireless Fritz!Box Fon, the international options are simply
a drop down list to select your country, those available a Netherlands,
France, Spain, Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany,
Argentina and "any other country" - whether this selects language or
simply telephone system standards I don't know, as I've never tried..!

Ivor

Old November 6th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

What do you mean by "international" version..? AFAIK they are sold in two
versions, Annex A for POTS lines and Annex B for ISDN as in Germany. In my
original non-wireless Fritz!Box Fon, the international options are simply
a drop down list to select your country, those available a Netherlands,
France, Spain, Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany,
Argentina and "any other country" - whether this selects language or
simply telephone system standards I don't know, as I've never tried..!

International probably means not the Deutsch only version

Does the set-up allow you to handle different caller ID systems too?

Stu
Old November 7th 06, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stu" wrote in message

What do you mean by "international" version..? AFAIK
they are sold in two versions, Annex A for POTS lines
and Annex B for ISDN as in Germany. In my original
non-wireless Fritz!Box Fon, the international options
are simply a drop down list to select your country,
those available a Netherlands, France, Spain,
Hungary, Latvia, Austria, United Kingdom, Denmark,
Germany, Argentina and "any other country" - whether
this selects language or simply telephone system
standards I don't know, as I've never tried..!

International probably means not the Deutsch only version

As far as I'm aware, with the 7170 model, there isn't a version other than
the Annex B German version at the moment, as the device has only been on
the market there a matter of days. I'm hoping a UK-compatible one comes
out soon..!

Does the set-up allow you to handle different caller ID
systems too?

I don't think there is a specific setting, but there's a setting to set
your country, presumably this is taken care of there.

Ivor