Skype: High CPU Usage: No Malware

Old November 4th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Skype: High CPU Usage: No Malware

Hi there,

I am trying to troubleshoot why when I am talking on Skype, my combined
Skype and SVCHOST is 100% while on my notebook it is normal, around
20%? I have also started/run skype with most every service turned off.
Not much difference, say only 3-5% cpu difference.

I have run extensive antivirus scans, hijack logs, etc and no malware
is evident. I am running XP Pro and 1.8 GHZ Celeron. There is no real
increase in network bandwidth as a result of Skype ie. I dont think my
PC is being used as Node. I also have high speed internet 4800 kbps.
Again, my laptop is fine but not my desktop.

I have used other services like internetcalls.com or voipbuster.com and
my usage does not spike up like with Skpe. But, usage is still high,
around 50-100% but it fluctuates unlike with Skype where it is pretty
much constant 100%.

Any ideas?

Thanks