Telephone Advice Please

Old November 5th 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Doctormick

Default Telephone Advice Please

Is there anyone here who has the technical expertise or knows someone
who can help make the best of our home / business phone setup?

I'm keen to get another line put in purely for private use and to keep
the existing line for business and at the same time to do something
about the appalling reception we have with our digital cordless phone
in the office which is about 30 metres and five brick walls away from
the house and the nearest phone point. I have broadband setup on a
netgear wireless system. Since we live in the sticks our only option (I
believe) as a line provider is BT with whom we currently have one line
and Broadband. We do also have Sky so I don't know if there's an
option there.

The plan is to be able to answer both the private and business lines in
the house and in the office and give us the option of switching off the
business line in the evening or at weekends if we want and just letting
the answer machine silently take care of incoming business calls.

There is also of course an option of transferring incoming out of hours
business calls to a call answering service but that's another issue
which can't be resolved until we have two lines anyway.

Can anyone tell me the best way of achieving this bearing in mind I
want to end up with 2 clear voice lines in both the house and office
and a broadband connection? I'm obviously mindful of both
installation and running cost!

I look forward to hearing from you

Doctormick

Old November 5th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 5 Nov 2006, "Doctormick" wrote:

Is there anyone here who has the technical expertise or knows someone
who can help make the best of our home / business phone setup?

please learn to cross-post in future... so your one question goes to the
(several) newsgroups at the same time, and any responses are seen in all
of them, so there aren't at least three different threads running.

All you need to do is put the different newsgroup names into the news
application you use, so that the post (and follow-ups) goes once only.

If Google Groups doesn't handle it, then I suggest using something else.
Heck, even blasted Outlook Express (available on most Windows PCs) would
be better than Google if there's no option to cross-post there. (I hardly
ever consider MS Outlook Express worth touching, but at least it could do
that simple task, even if it cannot properly handle some others!)