Vonage V-Phone

Old November 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

Default Vonage V-Phone

On 2006-11-05, Polly wrote:

Has anyone tried the Vonage V-Phone and, if so, is it any good?

I haven't but others have. Google records their views. Opinion appears
to be that it works and can be useful.

It's advertised at 19.99, but what's not clear is whether existing
Vonage customers can then operate this device alongside their existing
monthly contract at no further charge. In other words, given I'm
already paying 7.99 / month for residential service, is there any
additional cost (apart from the one-time 19.99)?

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15205.html

and an archive search at

http://www.theglobeandmail.com

are informative but unlikely to make you ecstatic.

Brian.
Old November 8th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Polly" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:52:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian postulated:

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15205.html

and an archive search at

http://www.theglobeandmail.com

are informative but unlikely to make you ecstatic.

You're right: they don't make me feel ecstatic. If the V-Phone could
be bundled in as part of my Vonage contract, I'd be very happy.

My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
other people's networks.

If you are just using one computer while travelling, my advice is to install
a free softphone such as x-lite and configure it for a service such as
Sipgate. Then include your new Sipgate number as a "Simulring" number in
Vonage online setup, and both will ring simultaneously for incoming calls.
You do need to make sure that Sipgate voicemail is turned off though,
otherwise neither phone will ring when you are not connected to Sipgate (and
their voicemail is terrible)

The only thing you would have to pay for in this setup is the outbound calls
via Sipgate, which can be fairly cheap.

Old November 8th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Polly" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:46:06 GMT, Herman postulated:

"Polly" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I think you misunderstood when I said I was looking for a V-Phone like
facility to plug into "another computer" and "without installing
software". By that I meant a computer which is not mine. I don't want
to install software on a third party computer. The beauty of the
V-Phone is exactly that: you carry the stick with you and plug it into
any suitable PC and install NO SOFTWARE on that PC.

Is anyone else, other than Vonage, offering such a facility?

--

I take your point that the V-phone stick would appear to be very user
friendly, although I am not sure it doesn't install software. It will at

Still as you point out, it is convenient but over-priced. I don't know of
any other company offering a similar service, which is why they set the
price so high I guess. You'd have thought the competition from mobiles
might have brought the cost down significantly, though.

Old November 9th 06, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-11-08, Polly wrote:

My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
other people's networks.

There is the FlashPhone at www.mplat.com. Not for those averse to Skype
but there are occasional references on the web to it being able to run
sip software.

www.inphonex.com also have Flash Phone. There is a page about it which
is accessed via the Site Map.

Also voicestick.com promotes its own memory stick product.

Brian.
Old November 10th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Polly wrote:

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 23:34:36 GMT, Herman postulated:

I take your point that the V-phone stick would appear to be very user
friendly, although I am not sure it doesn't install software. It will at
least have to install the hardware (in the same way as a flash drive is
installed) so that it can take advantage of the internet connection of the
computer. If it also has it's own on-board microphone and speaker then it
could probably do without software, but I am not sure this is the case.

Since V-Phone has its own microphone and earpirece, there's no
application software to be installed - just drivers.
http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1148

Why is installing an application like Xlite a problem, but installing
drivers not? Surely drivers [which hook in at a lower level in the OS than
applications do] are more of a risk than applications?

Still as you point out, it is convenient but over-priced.

19.99 overpriced?

That would buy you a years worth of off-peak calls with voip.co.uk,
ferinstance.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:52:53 up 17 days, 3:38, 3 users, load average: 3.03, 3.08, 3.08

Old November 10th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anthony Thornton

My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
V-Phone like facility?

The Babble Stick works with the Babble VOIP network and is available from
the shop on babble.net (19.95 inc VAT plus postage).