New MbInstall

Old November 5th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

Default New MbInstall

My mb died this weekend and I picked up a Gigabyte k8n51GMF-9 to replace it.
I did not do a fresh install as Ijust did one 2 weeks ago and did not want
the hassle again (Family computer) I cant see any problems with using the
existing install EXCEPT I havent any internet. I`m thinking this is because
of the Nvidia firewall but I`m not sure. My last Gigabyte board (Nforce
3 -250) I got so frustrated with the Nvidia firewall/ lan setup I disabled/
uninstalled and put in a Nic card.No more problem. So does anyone have any
advice on Nvidia lan setup for this board before I chuck it also and go with
a Nic?
Thanks Jeff

Old November 5th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 05/11/2006 in message [email protected] Jeff wrote:

My mb died this weekend and I picked up a Gigabyte k8n51GMF-9 to replace
it. I did not do a fresh install as Ijust did one 2 weeks ago and did not
want the hassle again (Family computer) I cant see any problems with using
the existing install EXCEPT I havent any internet. I`m thinking this is
because of the Nvidia firewall but I`m not sure. My last Gigabyte board
(Nforce 3 -250) I got so frustrated with the Nvidia firewall/ lan setup I
disabled/ uninstalled and put in a Nic card.No more problem. So does
anyone have any advice on Nvidia lan setup for this board before I chuck
it also and go with a Nic?
Thanks Jeff

Is that an nForcex chipset? If so I have always found the nVidia (?active
armour) firewall excellent.

You *must* use a custom setting to enable you to use the wizards (which I
found good) - set it to custom 1 and copy over the 'medium' setting.
You'll then have access to about 4 wizards to set up file sharing, home
network etc. Only issue I had with it was it wouldn't stream properly to
my Pinnacle Show Centre.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK