Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

Old November 6th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Default Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
does anyone else offer this?

700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
(23mins a day)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP

Stephen

Old November 6th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
does anyone else offer this?

700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
(23mins a day)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP

Stephen

First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
their actual needs.
voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
£8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.

The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 6th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Add £8 to what monthly cost?

It isn't added to anything Polly Brian is another Vonage hater by the
sounds of things and just has Ivor is obsessed with Sipgate Brian is
nearly just the same regarding voip.co.uk .
I have no real complaints regarding voip.co.uk but I would sooner just
pay Vonage the eight quid and know that I can pick up the phone at
anytime of the night or day and make a call for " free" sort of .

Looks good I'm going to go for voip.co.uk
no way do I make 10 calls during the day every day

Old November 6th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

wrote:

[...]

It's only £19.99 if you pay for 12 months in advance. This service
suites my needs and has worked when I need it to. Also, the email help
and support is swift and helpful.
Old November 6th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Brian A wrote:

Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
£8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.

Call yourself a geek? If you go on holiday, the first thing you pack should
be your ATA ;-) Something else - Vonage adaptors are locked to Vonage, and
you can't use any kit you like with Vonage unless you pay extra for
a 'softphone' account.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:03:10 up 13 days, 3:48, 3 users, load average: 3.00, 3.02, 3.04

Old November 6th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

[...]

In addition, there is another VSP ( Vyke ) offering calls to Europe
and the US at 2p/call. I only recently saw a posting here but, afaik,
no one has actually stated that they use them. You have to be quite
careful to get the right merchant URL otherwise the pricing is in US
cents.
http://tinyurl.com/ylu8os

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 6th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
does anyone else offer this?

Yes

700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
(23mins a day)

Do yourself a favour - open up an Excel sheet and work out the costs. Look
at pre-pay providers [like Sipgate], post-pay [Gradwell], part-inclusive
[voip.co.uk] and all-inclusive providers [Vonage]. Look at where your calls
are going [01/02/07/08/09/00], how long they are and when you make them.

For example:

- If you're always making calls to/from 0049, maybe you would be better off
signing up with a VoIP provider in Germany

- Vonage looks promising because you're always making loads of peak time
geographic calls, but digging a little deeper you realise that most of them
are to the same place that could easily be converted to VoIP, and would be
free on-net with another VoIP provider

- Most of your calls are to mobiles, so buying a mobile would be more
cost-effective

If you buy the right kit, you can sign up with several providers and program
it to take the cheapest route. There's a lot of competition out there in
VoIP-land for your money, so you're bound to find something that satisfies.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:09:58 up 13 days, 3:55, 3 users, load average: 3.03, 3.03, 3.03

Old November 6th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Polly wrote:
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:
"cheapest" isn't always "best".

Fair comment.. But some times it is. ;-) voip.co.uk and its £1.99
(£19.99 if buying 12 months) package offers a great service (day or
night when I pick up the phone), free phone calls and just as important;
great support.

But hey, we cant all buy the same service.. If Vonage works for you,
great.. You'll be saving a fair deal compared to BT/NTL anyway.
Old November 7th 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:18:58 +0000, Scope wrote:

Polly wrote:
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:
"cheapest" isn't always "best".

Don't think it was me ...it was a quote from Dex

Fair comment.. But some times it is. ;-) voip.co.uk and its £1.99
(£19.99 if buying 12 months) package offers a great service (day or
night when I pick up the phone), free phone calls and just as important;
great support.

But hey, we cant all buy the same service.. If Vonage works for you,
great.. You'll be saving a fair deal compared to BT/NTL anyway.

I think, as Dex has intimated, some people just feel happier paying an
'all in' price even if it does work out more expensive.
My next door neighbour was paying £200/year more than me for her water
bill than me because she didn't have a meter. She wanted a fixed bill.
She has seen the light now and made a change but I can see that, for
some people, cost is not so much of a factor as is peace of mind.
I get my peace of mind nowing that I have got a good service without,
as I see it, wasting money. Others get their peace of mind by paying
more.
There are many people who don't have a clue how much they are paying
for their phone calls - and they don't care. They just worry about
other things. Meanwhile BT rub their hands with glee!

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.