Calling to BT Broadband Voice number

Old November 8th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Traveller

Default Calling to BT Broadband Voice number

A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
needed?

Old November 9th 06, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-11-08, Traveller wrote:
A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Commencing 056 I think you mean.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
needed?

056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.

Brian.
Old November 9th 06, 08:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Traveller

On 2006-11-08, Traveller wrote:
A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit
phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Commencing 056 I think you mean.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes
etc..
needed?

056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.

Brian.

Yes, you're right. 056 number.

Thanks for the info.

Old November 9th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:04:26 -0000, "Traveller"

On 2006-11-08, Traveller wrote:
A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit
phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Commencing 056 I think you mean.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes
etc..
needed?

056 numbers are PSTN numbers. In general you will pay to connect to them
just as you do when contacting 01/02 numbers.

Brian.

Yes, you're right. 056 number.

Thanks for the info.

You may be able to dial into this number directly via SIP.
How? Well it MAY be listed as an E number. I don't know how the
Draytel works but if you are able to set your dial plan such that it
includes - no username or password required, then IF
it is an Enum then it will route via sipbroker. If it is not it will
route normally. If this is a specific 056 number that you wish to call
the recipient could make it an Enum and then, normally, it would be
accessible via SIP - unless BT have some sort of block on it.
To understand how all this works checkout
http://www.sipbroker.com

SEPARATE from all this, there isn't a sipbroker access number for BT
voice . Obviously BT want their customers to be restricted in their
SIP calls - one good reason NOT to go with BT
There is one, however, for bt.net whatever that service is. The web
site simply states "BT Global Services: IP Services" .
It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Duncan MacCallum

Traveller wrote:
A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
needed?

You may not want to..... call charges IIRC are around 5ppm.
Apart from that you should have no probs.

Cheers
Old November 9th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

wrote:
Yes, you're right. 056 number.

Thanks for the info.

You may be able to dial into this number directly via SIP. How? Well
it MAY be listed as an E number. I don't know how the Draytel works
but if you are able to set your dial plan such that it includes
- no username or password required, then IF it is an
Enum then it will route via sipbroker. If it is not it will route
normally. If this is a specific 056 number that you wish to call the
recipient could make it an Enum and then, normally, it would be
accessible via SIP - unless BT have some sort of block on it. To
understand how all this works checkout http://www.sipbroker.com

If Traveller wants those free calls to his friend your idea is one he
should definitely investigate but I wonder how feasible it is to get it
working with a BT Broadband Voice number. My recollection of using
www.e164.org is that the number points to a SIP URI.

According to

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=2660761

the URI could be something like . Which looks
OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

SEPARATE from all this, there isn't a sipbroker access number for BT
voice . Obviously BT want their customers to be restricted in their
SIP calls - one good reason NOT to go with BT

You may be interested in this:

http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/?pagename=viewpost&id=1143

Brian.
Old November 9th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Brian wrote:

According to

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=2660761

the URI could be something like . Which looks
OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

You snipped this:

It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

so:

$ host sip.btsip.bt.net
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.36
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.40
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.228

:-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:17:06 up 16 days, 5:03, 2 users, load average: 3.42, 3.45, 3.43

Old November 9th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-11-09, alexd wrote:

Brian wrote:

According to

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=2660761

the URI could be something like . Which looks
OK except whois has no knowledge of btsip.bt.com.

You snipped this:

It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

I cannot find that sentence on that page. I expect you will help me out.
sip.btsip.bt.net is there as an outbound proxy.

so:

$ host sip.btsip.bt.net
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.36
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.40
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.228

:-)

Does that make a more likely URI?

Brian.
Old November 9th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-11-09, Duncan MacCallum wrote:

Traveller wrote:
A relative has subscribed to BT Broadand Voice and has a new 11 digit phone
number with this service commencing 05.

Is it possible to dial sraight into this number for free from another PC
based VOIP Network, like DrayTEL or similar? If so are any pre-fixes etc..
needed?

You may not want to..... call charges IIRC are around 5ppm.
Apart from that you should have no probs.

The per minute charge is dependent on the provider and can be cheaper
than 5p. At least one of the Betamax products has it at less than 1p.
The non-voip 18866 charges 0p. TalkTalk is, I think, about 2p.

Brian.
Old November 10th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On 2006-11-09, alexd wrote:

You snipped this:

It has a sip server address of sip.btsip.bt.net

I cannot find that sentence on that page. I expect you will help me out.

line.

sip.btsip.bt.net is there as an outbound proxy.

Ah OK - so definitely no use as an inbound one then? Has anyone tried from
outside of BT's network?

so:

$ host sip.btsip.bt.net
sip.btsip.bt.net has address 81.144.106.8

Does that make a more likely URI?

Not 100% certain about the guidelines for a SIP URI, but I would have
thought that the bit after the @ would have to resolve in order for it to
be valid, so .net is more likely than .com.

Sometimes SIP URIs make use of DNS SRV records, so that one can call
when it's really [at least I think that's how
it works].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:05:09 up 17 days, 2:51, 3 users, load average: 3.32, 3.13, 3.10