Question About Vonage

Old November 12th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anthony Thornton

Default Question About Vonage

I'm looking to get away from instant messaging and getting a dedicated
residential VOIP service and Vonage is probably the one I'll go for.

My question is about international call charges. Is this paid in arrears or
in advance and if it is in arrears is there an advance payment option, i.e.
PAYG

Thanks

Old November 12th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Anthony Thornton explained :
I'm looking to get away from instant messaging and getting a dedicated
residential VOIP service and Vonage is probably the one I'll go for.

My question is about international call charges. Is this paid in arrears or
in advance and if it is in arrears is there an advance payment option, i.e.
PAYG

Thanks

Have you looked at www.voip.co.uk cheaper than Vonage, depends whether
you want inclusive daytime calls.

Old November 12th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

"Anthony Thornton" wrote in message
I'm looking to get away from instant messaging and getting a dedicated
residential VOIP service and Vonage is probably the one I'll go for.

My question is about international call charges. Is this paid in arrears
or in advance and if it is in arrears is there an advance payment option,
i.e. PAYG

Thanks

Arrrears, you register a credit card with your account. Don't think there is
an advance payment option.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
send newsletters

Old November 12th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anthony Thornton

Have you looked at www.voip.co.uk cheaper than Vonage, depends whether
you want inclusive daytime calls.

I looked at voip.co.uk but I don't really understand how to set it up. The
Vonage web site is easier to understand for a newbie like myself. I don't
have a router but an NTL 250 modem connected to the Ethernet port.
Information from both Vonage and NTL says that all I do is whack a router
between the modem and my Ethernet port, plug in a regular telephone and go.
The other consideration is start up costs: With Vonage it's 37 which
includes the Motorola router.

Old November 13th 06, 03:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Polly" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:48:08 GMT, ACDeag postulated:

Have you looked at www.voip.co.uk cheaper than Vonage,
depends whether you want inclusive daytime calls.

Whether www.voip.co.uk is cheaper or not depends on the
customer's profile of calling. There are other
considerations too, like whether the customer wants a
straightforward "plug in and go" or likes to play with
lots of adapter settings.

If your name is "Ivor" then undoubtedly Sipgate is the
only viable option.

Please don't put words into my mouth, I have never said that. I use
Sipgate, true; I recommend them, again true. I also use other systems,
notably Gradwell and FWD, so Sipgate are by no means my only option.
However, due to their pricing and practice of locking equipment, it is
also true I wouldn't use Vonage. However if it works for you, who am I to
stop you..?!

If your name is "Dexter" then Vonage
comes out on top. You cannot simply make a blanket
statement suggesting one or other without knowing more.

Indeed.

Ivor

Old November 13th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:40:33 GMT, wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:28:15 GMT, "Anthony Thornton"
wrote:

I'm looking to get away from instant messaging and getting a dedicated
residential VOIP service and Vonage is probably the one I'll go for.

My question is about international call charges. Is this paid in arrears or
in advance and if it is in arrears is there an advance payment option, i.e.
PAYG

No paid in arrears but if it is mainly international calls you are
making why not go for sip discount or one of the other offering from
the same group.

A mention was made about voip.co.uk earlier in this thread. I do
recognise that one of THE main selling points of Vonage is that it is,
apparently, plug and play. People also look at the apparently smaller,
initial cash layout - though Dexter has pointed out that it isn't as
small as it seems.
Am I not right though that most of the 'main' UK players sell ATAs
ready configured for their service if you buy from them, but with the
advantage that the ATAs are not locked ?
By the 'main' players, with no 'line rental', I am referring to
voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org and voipfone.co.uk.
Presumably, if you buy from one of these VSPs the only problem you
might encounter is that you may have to forward ports in your router,
or set up DMZ. Further, I think al these VSPs would offer some email
support to get you up and running. If you are totally non-tech then,
yes, go for Vonage but you will pay more in the long run unless you
make heavy use of your phone. Further, I am well aware that there are
many people who really don't care too much at all about their on-going
expenditure so Vonage, for them, is the best to go for.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 13th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Anthony Thornton laid this down on his screen :
Have you looked at www.voip.co.uk cheaper than Vonage, depends whether
you want inclusive daytime calls.

I looked at voip.co.uk but I don't really understand how to set it up. The
Vonage web site is easier to understand for a newbie like myself. I don't
have a router but an NTL 250 modem connected to the Ethernet port.
Information from both Vonage and NTL says that all I do is whack a router
between the modem and my Ethernet port, plug in a regular telephone and go.
The other consideration is start up costs: With Vonage it's 37 which
includes the Motorola router.

You do not have to set it up, the box they send you is already
configured, you just plug it into your modem, plug your router into the
voip box and plug a phone into the voip box. Support is very good as
well.

With Vonage remember that supoport is in the US, some departments are
only available 1pm-11pm our time.

Old November 13th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Brian A has brought this to us :

wrote:

[...]

With voip.co.uk the adaptor sits between the cable modem and the router
so there are no DMZ or port forwarding issues.

Old November 13th 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

ACDeag wrote:

With voip.co.uk the adaptor sits between the cable modem and the router
so there are no DMZ or port forwarding issues.

....if you're using cable, that is. In most cases with DSL, the modem is
built into the router, so some level of reconfiguration may be necessary. I
imagine some ATAs can reconfigure your router using UPnP, but whether or
not they should be trusted to is another matter!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:31:37 up 20 days, 3:17, 2 users, load average: 3.00, 3.04, 3.02

Old November 13th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"ACDeag" wrote in message
[...]

Support has never been an issue for me!