What people will do for their love of Skype

Old November 13th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default What people will do for their love of Skype

Interesting project but what a lot of trouble to connect to the great
god Skype.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8592

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 14th 06, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:52:55 +0000, Puffnstuff wrote:

Skype works well and its free

but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 17th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:52:55 +0000, Puffnstuff wrote:

Skype works well and its free

but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.

Why is it dead end? Protocol compatibility of the others does not seem to
give me much advantage as I cannot call free all VOIP users on any service.
divoch.

Old November 17th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"divoch" wrote in message

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
Skype works well and its free

but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.

Why is it dead end? Protocol compatibility of the others
does not seem to give me much advantage as I cannot call
free all VOIP users on any service. divoch.

Skype's overriding disadvantage is that it isn't SIP or IAX compatible so
can't be used with an ATA. You have to have a computer running.

Ivor

Old November 17th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

divoch wrote:
"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:52:55 +0000, Puffnstuff wrote:

Skype works well and its free

but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.

Why is it dead end? Protocol compatibility of the others does not seem to
give me much advantage as I cannot call free all VOIP users on any service.
divoch.

Not at the minute, no. When you can though, who's going to want to pay
per minute to use Skype?

Paul.
Old November 17th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

"Paul" wrote in message
divoch wrote:
"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:52:55 +0000, Puffnstuff wrote:

Skype works well and its free
but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.

Why is it dead end? Protocol compatibility of the others does not seem
to give me much advantage as I cannot call free all VOIP users on any
service.
divoch.

Not at the minute, no. When you can though, who's going to want to pay
per minute to use Skype?

I envisage that my main use for these services in not so distant future
will be
making calls either using Internet cafes or even better using free Wi-Fi
hotspots
while travelling.
Which is better for this use now and what is your guess for the future?
divoch

Old November 17th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:31:22 GMT, "divoch"
wrote:

Why is it dead end?

why isn't it ? Can you take Skype up a level to an office PABX system,
for example, or integrate it with a landline ?

Protocol compatibility of the others does not seem to
give me much advantage as I cannot call free all VOIP users on any service.

you can call most other SIP VoIP users for free via peering
arrangements like sipbroker.com

you also get a much wider choice of software and hardware, and are not
tied into a P2P model.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 18th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

wrote:

Why is it dead end?

why isn't it ? Can you take Skype up a level to an office PABX system,
for example, or integrate it with a landline ?

How many home users will need and have PABX?
divoch

Old November 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:42:59 +0000, wrote:

How can it be a dead end when I can dial BT and other landlines
free everyday?

draw me the road map for progressing Skype to more complex uses.

Phil
--

Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster
http://www.tglsoft.de/
Old November 18th 06, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, divoch popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|"Paul" wrote in message
| divoch wrote:
| "Phil Thompson" wrote in message
| On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:52:55 +0000, Puffnstuff wrote:
|
| Skype works well and its free
| but it is a dead end, so we're not going there.
|
| Why is it dead end? Protocol compatibility of the others does not seem
| to give me much advantage as I cannot call free all VOIP users on any
| service.
| divoch.
|
| Not at the minute, no. When you can though, who's going to want to pay
| per minute to use Skype?
|

|I envisage that my main use for these services in not so distant future
|will be
|making calls either using Internet cafes or even better using free Wi-Fi
|hotspots
|while travelling.
|Which is better for this use now and what is your guess for the future?
|divoch

Skype is a BIG nuisance and a BIG security hole for every network
administrator.
The system model (P2P) relies on "Supernodes" to help other users do NAT
traversal. Supernodes are elected *automatically* by the application
when it detects a good broadband connection and a public IP on the
machine (this alone is enough to make me ban and bin it).
Result: if you are on a 2+ Mb broadband connection with a public IP,
you're acting as a "bridge" between many OTHER Skype users for ALL the
IP traffic your connection can bear when it's idle.
And your capped connection eats up all your monthly quote in a day.
Furthermore, even if the protocol is proprietary, it's been already
cracked, hence not secure.
Least but not last, using the pinhole punched by Skype through UPnP
routers, malicious traffic can "piggyback" and slip through.
Is that enough? Because there's more... but probably is this too much
already.

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid