Copper telephone cable

Old November 14th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
REDSKINS

Default Copper telephone cable

Hello

My parents have tried 3 times to get broadband enabled on their line ( I
know dont ask why they have tried 3 times) anyway at the last shot they
finally got an Engineer out who says they have copper cable coming into the
house, Is there anyway to get BT to replace the cable thus enabling them to
have broadband? I did sugest on a windy day going out and pulling the cable
down but that didnt go down well!

thanks

Lee

Old November 14th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Hello

My parents have tried 3 times to get broadband enabled on their line ( I
know dont ask why they have tried 3 times) anyway at the last shot they
finally got an Engineer out who says they have copper cable coming into

the
house, Is there anyway to get BT to replace the cable thus enabling them

have broadband? I did sugest on a windy day going out and pulling the

cable
down but that didnt go down well!

thanks

Lee

Apparently if you ring BT faults and tell them there is intermittant noise
(cracklig etc) on the linewhen its windy, then they will get the line
changed free of charge and without question. It is apparently something
that *has to be changed* if an engineer visits and finds this old type of
cable.

So I think thats a bit easier than pulling it down yourself.

Tony

Old November 14th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Hello

My parents have tried 3 times to get broadband enabled on their line ( I
know dont ask why they have tried 3 times) anyway at the last shot they
finally got an Engineer out who says they have copper cable coming into
the house, Is there anyway to get BT to replace the cable thus enabling
them to have broadband? I did sugest on a windy day going out and pulling
the cable down but that didnt go down well!

thanks

Lee

If its copper cable coming into the house then whats the problem?

Old November 14th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"SJP" wrote in message

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
Hello

My parents have tried 3 times to get broadband enabled on their line ( I
know dont ask why they have tried 3 times) anyway at the last shot they
finally got an Engineer out who says they have copper cable coming into
the house, Is there anyway to get BT to replace the cable thus enabling
them to have broadband? I did sugest on a windy day going out and

pulling
the cable down but that didnt go down well!

thanks

Lee

If its copper cable coming into the house then whats the problem?

Good point. Actually my old cable is the grey coated figure 8 type stuff.
Fitted in 1978 and it gets me a very impressive 4.7mbit connection.
Are you sure the cable is the problem, because Ive been told on many
occasions that the new type of cable is much poorer than the older type (if
its in good condition). The older stuff is stronger and has thicker
conductors. The new stuff is much thinner.
Tony

Old November 14th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Tony" wrote in message

"SJP" wrote in message

"REDSKINS" wrote in message
[...]

If they live in Milton Keynes it might be aluminium cale they are suffering
from ...

--
Graham

Old November 14th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
REDSKINS

[...]

They are situated quite far away form the exchnage , only some of the houses
in their village have bene able to get BB and only at 250k the Engineer said
that the copper cable didnt help the situation.

Lee

Old November 14th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"REDSKINS" wrote in message

[...]

He's talking crap then. ADSL works better over copper!

Old November 15th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"SJP" wrote in message
Good point. Actually my old cable is the grey coated figure 8 type
stuff.
Fitted in 1978 and it gets me a very impressive 4.7mbit connection.
Are you sure the cable is the problem, because Ive been told on many
occasions that the new type of cable is much poorer than the older type
(if
its in good condition). The older stuff is stronger and has thicker
conductors. The new stuff is much thinner.
Tony

They are situated quite far away form the exchnage , only some of the
houses in their village have bene able to get BB and only at 250k the
Engineer said that the copper cable didnt help the situation.

He's talking crap then. ADSL works better over copper!

Does anyone know if the cable fitted today by BT is better or worse than
older stuff ( grey figure 8 in particular).

I would be interested to hear why BT now fit different cable these days...
Is the new stuff just cheaper (and not necessarily better than older cable)?

Are there deeper more technical reasons why the new type is now fitted?

Is there any evidence out there to suggest that some types of cables may
offer better broadband speeds than others?

Is the changing of a cable from a telegraph pole to a property likely to
make much difference (if the cable is in good condition) to the maximum
speed, when after all the rest of the cable from the telegraph pole to the
exchange remains the same.....

Tony

Old November 15th 06, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Tony" wrote in message

Does anyone know if the cable fitted today by BT is better or worse than
older stuff ( grey figure 8 in particular).

Both have their advantages - old grey DW3/6 is by and large thicker diameter
copper, but is prone to intermittent noise/cutoff problems. New DW10/CAD55
have 2/4 pairs respectively per cable, a lot neater for additional lines.
DW12 (rarely used, usually for routes through trees)has 1 pair, conductor
diameter is same as DW6.

I would be interested to hear why BT now fit different cable these days...
Is the new stuff just cheaper (and not necessarily better than older
cable)?

Are there deeper more technical reasons why the new type is now fitted?

Apart from the known problems with old DW3/6, it's possibly due to
improvements in cable clamps/pulleys/stripper tools etc - these are designed
to securely hold round profile dropwires, rather than figure 8.

Is there any evidence out there to suggest that some types of cables may
offer better broadband speeds than others?

Is the changing of a cable from a telegraph pole to a property likely to
make much difference (if the cable is in good condition) to the maximum
speed, when after all the rest of the cable from the telegraph pole to the
exchange remains the same.....

If the old DW 3/6 is in good condition, there's no advantage in getting it
changed, other than getting a neater installation if you had another line
installed (your original DW would probably be changed anyway)

HTH, Ali

Old November 15th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
linker3000

Zomaar wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

Surely Oxygen Free Copper is needed for hi-fi quality phone calls and
full speed broadband. For belt and braces, use it for your mains leads
too - a decent mains link for your router or PC will only cost around 189:

http://www.hifi-plus.co.uk/mains.html

8-o