networking outlook express

Old November 15th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default networking outlook express

I realise i will get laughed at for using OE, but its user friendly for the
most part and the others in the house use it and would find it hard to move
over.

My question is I want to be able to access my message store on any computer
on the network. If i put the OE message store on a shared drive (on one of
the computers always on), will i be able to access it from the others and
will it be useable from the original computer in its updated state or will
it keep resetting?

By the way, i'm not using IE7.

Thanks

Old November 15th 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 15 Nov 2006, "F9" wrote:

I will get laughed at for using OE, ...

not at all... it can be quite reasonable, so long as one knows of some of
its deficiencies (I found number of mail accounts limited at 30 or less)...

My question is I want to be able to access my message store on any computer
on the network. If i put the OE message store on a shared drive (on one of
the computers always on), will i be able to access it from the others and
will it be useable from the original computer in its updated state or will
it keep resetting?

It might work, though I'd probably suggest keeping a copy of the mail files
after the first "move" (under maintenance) as subsequent "move" requests
may overwrite/complain about the existing files left there. Also, you
are likely to have problems if a second PC starts MS OE while the first
has the files open, giving an error about file being "in use". Worse, if
more than one can access a file, you could have corruption occur if you
happened to delete a message while OE on another PC was retrieving new
messages and managed to update the index to the same folder...

I cannot think of a simple way to solve this, though using IMAP (access to
the mail kept on an internet-based server) is intended for multiple views
of the same mail collection (you could copy any messages from the remote
server to the local hard drive, but it would not be the same as you had
been considering)...

There's an article describing IMAP vs POP mail on www.fastmail.net (they
only allow IMAP access on the accounts they provide for free). See
http://www.fastmail.net/docs/faqpart...ernalIMAPVsPOP

(NB they have only recently started using fastmail.net which is why the
FAQ mentioned Fastmail.FM - it's not a mistake!)

By the way, i'm not using IE7.

Not sure how that might have any impact (unless you are concerned that on
installing, it will wipe the settings)...
Old November 15th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 15 Nov 2006, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

http://www.fastmail.net/docs/faqpart...ernalIMAPVsPOP

Forgot to mention - with MS OE you can specify, for each folder of an IMAP
account, which folders should have all bodies downloaded, or just headers,
or nothing at all. So one PC could be set to download all the messages,
while others in the house would show only the headers (and on opening, a
message will be retrieved from the internet-based server).
Old November 15th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 15 Nov 2006, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

http://www.fastmail.net/docs/faqpart...ernalIMAPVsPOP

Forgot to mention - with MS OE you can specify, for each folder of an IMAP
account, which folders should have all bodies downloaded, or just headers,
or nothing at all. So one PC could be set to download all the messages,
while others in the house would show only the headers (and on opening, a
message will be retrieved from the internet-based server).

Thanks.

Will give it a go.

Old November 18th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 15 Nov 2006, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

http://www.fastmail.net/docs/faqpart...ernalIMAPVsPOP

Forgot to mention - with MS OE you can specify, for each folder of an IMAP
account, which folders should have all bodies downloaded, or just headers,
or nothing at all. So one PC could be set to download all the messages,
while others in the house would show only the headers (and on opening, a
message will be retrieved from the internet-based server).

I saw this and thought I would try it, but you cant choose the folder on the
networked drive

Old November 19th 06, 03:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

"F9" wrote in message
.. .
I realise i will get laughed at for using OE, but its user friendly for the
most part and the others in the house use it and would find it hard to move
over.

My question is I want to be able to access my message store on any
computer on the network. If i put the OE message store on a shared drive
(on one of the computers always on), will i be able to access it from the
others and will it be useable from the original computer in its updated
state or will it keep resetting?

By the way, i'm not using IE7.

Thanks

OE doesn't like you to set it's file store to a network location, but you
can do it...

You absolutely MUST make sure all PCs are using the same version of OE.

You need to edit the registry and alter this key...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{LOAD OF RANDOM LOOKING NUMBERS AND
LETTERS}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0] "Store Root"

This will be set to...
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{SAME RANDOM
NUMBERS AND LETTERS AS BEFORE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

You can change this to your store.

It is better to use UNC paths, rather than rely on drive letters, so if it
was on a PC called OFFICE in a share named EMAIL you would use the
following...
\\OFFICE\EMAIL\ (Tip, if you share something and add a $ to the end of the
SHARE name, then this share will be hidden when you browse the PC on the
network, if you want to access this hidden share, you need to type in the
share name in full - handy for things like this, where people shouldn't be
playing about with the share)

If you want to share your OE Address book, then you need to modify the
following key...
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name]

I haven't tried to open OE in different locations, it may just throw a
stress, or it could corrupt your data - take a backup and then test it
thoroughly before you start to use it properly!

Sparks...

Old November 19th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Nov 2006, "F9" wrote:

I saw this and thought I would try it, but you cant choose the folder
on the networked drive

Surely it depends on how the 'networked drive' was set up. I felt
sure you could choose to 'share' from a sub-directory (folder in
Windows speak). I rarely touch 'sharing' in Windows...
Old November 19th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Nov 2006, "Sparks" wrote:

I haven't tried to open OE in different locations, it may just throw a
stress, or it could corrupt your data -

I'd put money on one or other LOL... I really doubt it is will work.

take a backup and then test it thoroughly

excellent (but nonetheless necessary!) advice (and all too often not done)
Old November 19th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

On 18 Nov 2006, "F9" wrote:

I saw this and thought I would try it, but you cant choose the folder
on the networked drive

Surely it depends on how the 'networked drive' was set up. I felt
sure you could choose to 'share' from a sub-directory (folder in
Windows speak). I rarely touch 'sharing' in Windows...

Not without changing the registry :-)

If you go into OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, it doesn't
show the network, and if you try to select a mapped drive, it doesn't let
you do it!

I think they are trying to tell us something here!

Sparks...