easy VPN?

Old November 16th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

Default easy VPN?

hi all,
been tasked with setting up a vpn between two adsl-networked PCs
sitting behind routers in different locations.
i want an idiot proof, set-it-and-forget-it solution for them. PCs
running XP pro.
what's the easiest way? looks like hamachi's been bought out and is no
longer available.

could use port forwarding and the built in VPN server/client in
windows, but is it easy to setup and is it secure? some routers have
built in VPN clients, presumably you still need a machine setup as VPN
server, or can 2 domestic adsl routers act as a vpn network between
them?

any suggestions welcome...
ric

Old November 16th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

ric wrote:

hi all,
been tasked with setting up a vpn between two adsl-networked PCs
sitting behind routers in different locations.
i want an idiot proof, set-it-and-forget-it solution for them. PCs
running XP pro.
what's the easiest way? looks like hamachi's been bought out and is no
longer available.

could use port forwarding and the built in VPN server/client in
windows, but is it easy to setup and is it secure? some routers have
built in VPN clients, presumably you still need a machine setup as VPN
server, or can 2 domestic adsl routers act as a vpn network between
them?

any suggestions welcome...
ric

at the risk of looking like a div for replying to my own message, have
preliminarily settled for a Draktek Vigor VPN-endpoint router at the
office end, and the usual XP vpn client software at the remote end,
using their existing netgear vpn-passthrough router. this way there's
less to break at the office side, and it gives fun options for the
future like replacing the remote site's router with a similar draytek
and offering them free VOIP between sites...

ric

anyone done an install like this - any pitfalls to avoid?

Old November 16th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

ric wrote:

at the risk of looking like a div for replying to my own message, have
preliminarily settled for a Draktek Vigor VPN-endpoint router at the
office end, and the usual XP vpn client software at the remote end,
using their existing netgear vpn-passthrough router. this way there's
less to break at the office side, and it gives fun options for the
future like replacing the remote site's router with a similar draytek
and offering them free VOIP between sites...

ric

anyone done an install like this - any pitfalls to avoid?

I'm still trying to get it working.
:(

Draytek one end and Netgear vpn/firewall/router the other.
What _should_ be simple seems to have lots of complications.
Theoretically it should be really easy. the Draytek 2910 can be set to
VPN Always on so it establishes and keeps the VPN connection between the
Netgear without any PC's being switched on.
Reality is a little more tricky. I am tempted to upgrade my now
discontinued Netgear device for another Draytek so menus and settings
are the same, plus I don't need wireless at one end.

Know it should work as I had netgear client running on the remote PC
before I had the router and was able to get it working, but router to
router is not so easy.

One thing I would say is essential is to set up one or both routers to
allow you to access/configure them remotely if you go the way of
router-router at least until you get the thing working !
:)

Pete
http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Old November 16th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

I have setup Vigor(LAN) to Vigor (LAN) VPN's, and also Windows XP
Dial-in to Vigor VPN's.
Once I worked out how to do it, I have had no problems.

Here is the link to the Draytek Vigor support page. "VPN Setup
Guides"
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/router_faq.html#vpn

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old November 21st 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cedders

Hamachi is still available and still free. There's a new 'pro' version with
extra features that you pay for.
Cedric

ups.com...