I need a US to UK phone adaptor

Old November 16th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Default I need a US to UK phone adaptor

Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
would I need an adaptor ?

Old November 16th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Oliver

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
would I need an adaptor ?

In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.
Old November 16th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Richard Oliver" wrote in message
¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone
or would I need an adaptor ?

In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket and a
BT phone you want to use
you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter

Old November 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh RH:
¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my
phone or would I need an adaptor ?

In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket
and a BT phone you want to use
you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter

Ring capacitor only required for a few phones that are built to UK use
only and don't have their own ring circuit.

Still worth getting the RJ11 - BABT adaper with ring capacitor just in
case you do have a phone that requires the ring capacitor.

You could take an RJ11 cable and wire it up to a BABT master socket.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old November 17th 06, 03:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin˛

Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed for
old phones.
Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic :-(
Regards,
Martin

Old November 17th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Cook

Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.

Old November 18th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed
for old phones.
Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic :-(
Regards,
Martin

Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.

I've bought one of eBay thanks anyhow. Ermm probably better to get a new
phone and use a modem lead then pay a lot for converter I think

Old November 21st 06, 06:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:41:01 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

Ermm probably better to get a new
phone and use a modem lead

depends if you want it to work or not.