FYI

Old November 16th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Collin

Default FYI

Ofcom today announced plans to improve number portability processes
which allow consumers to keep their telephone number when they switch
provider. In the absence of number portability consumers may be
reluctant to switch provider as they would suffer the inconvenience and
possible expense of having to change their telephone number.

Ofcom is proposing that the port lead time – the period it takes to
transfer a customer’s number from one network to another – should be
reduced from five working days to one working day following the switch.

Ofcom also announced today planned improvements to the method used to
route calls to ported numbers.

The consultation document can be found at
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/gc18/
--

Phil Collin
Partner Manager

Old November 16th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Phil Collin wrote:
Ofcom is proposing that the port lead time – the period it takes to
transfer a customer’s number from one network to another – should be
reduced from five working days to one working day following the switch.

Is this for mobile or normal phones?

I've just ported some normal phone numbers to a voip provider, and it
took a few weeks.

Tim
Old November 16th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Collin

Tim wrote:
Phil Collin wrote:
Ofcom is proposing that the port lead time – the period it takes to
transfer a customer’s number from one network to another – should be
reduced from five working days to one working day following the switch.

Is this for mobile or normal phones?

I've just ported some normal phone numbers to a voip provider, and it
took a few weeks.

Tim

If you take a look at the published document you will be able to see
exactly what they are planning on doing.
The document is well worth a quick scan through

Phil

--

Phil Collin
Partner Manager

Old November 16th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Phil Collin" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
Phil Collin wrote:
Ofcom is proposing that the port lead time – the period it takes to
transfer a customer’s number from one network to another – should be
reduced from five working days to one working day following the switch.

Is this for mobile or normal phones?

I've just ported some normal phone numbers to a voip provider, and it
took a few weeks.

Tim

If you take a look at the published document you will be able to see
exactly what they are planning on doing.
The document is well worth a quick scan through

Phil

--

Phil Collin
Partner Manager
T: 0870 861 0 300
E:
W:
www.voicehost.co.uk

Indeed, well worth a scan. But I don't see anything about porting to/from
VoIP in there?

Old November 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Collin

Tim wrote:
Phil Collin wrote:
[...]

They refer to "other network providers" and BT's 21CN, which
incidentally with my other companies hat on , we are working with BT to
monitor. The 21CN is IP based, VoIP is just that.
A VoIP provider such as ourselves are just another Telco albeit our
comms are all IP based.
Hope that helps clarify the position.

Phil
--