Help: Looking for 3G Laptop Card & Contract

Old November 16th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Travec the Dacian

Default Help: Looking for 3G Laptop Card & Contract

I've just found out that during December I will be working in an
environment where I will have to use a 3G PCMCIA card in my laptop to
access broadband internet.

I'm prepared to bite the bullet and buy a year's contract if I have no
other choice, but what I need is an unlimited deal. I've looked at
T-Mobile and Vodaphone, but it seems 3G is still very expensive and,
although some companies advertise an 'unlimited' service, the best
I've seen are subject to a 3Gb or a 10Gb monthly 'fair use' limit.

Anyone got any ideas please? Any good deals out there. I need card +
service.

Travec
Old November 16th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 16 Nov 2006, Travec The Dacian wrote:

Anyone got any ideas please?

better (alternative/wider audience/dealers?) advice in uk.telecom.mobile ?
Old November 17th 06, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Travec the Dacian

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:50:33 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

better (alternative/wider audience/dealers?) advice in uk.telecom.mobile ?

Fank 'ee kind sir. I've posted there too.

Best I've come up with so far is T-Mobile. Free Card and 20 /month,
but only 2GB monthy allowance. Ouch!

Travec

Old November 17th 06, 03:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 17 Nov 2006, Travec The Dacian wrote:

Free Card and 20 /month, but only 2GB monthy allowance.

doesn't sound that bad - it's not tied to one location, and not a
lot more than some of the accounts that exist on ADSL. I guess if
you are *having* to use some other means of connection, you should
be able to claim cost of it from the firm requiring you to use it,
or they should lend you something suitable. If you want to go for
a year's contract, then that's a price you'll have to absorb for
yourself. Early adopters and all that... I was initially paying
29.99/month for a 500 kbps connection, with a rubbishy USB modem.

(Admittedly that was when BT was charging a friend 39.99 a month,
and within a year, I was paying only 19.99 because Freeserve had
mistakenly considered "wires only" trial users to be employees of
DSG... so gave us a significant reduction too!! The date of that
price reduction was September 2002, I think... Would have to check
ADSL Guide to see how prices were changing for other ISP - I think
they came down by about 2 or 3 pounds from a starting point around
30 quid when BT Wholesale launched "wires only" for all customers
in April 2002.)