BT SDSL hook-up cabling/microfilter?

Old November 17th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT SDSL hook-up cabling/microfilter?

Hello,

I have dealt with a few BT SDSL installations (resold via another
provider),
previously the service was provided with an RJ11 socket on a wall jack
and I connected the cisco router with the provided cable and all was
well.

The most recent one that I have seen is provided on a normal looking
phone socket. Our installation technicial tried a number of ADSL
microfilters and also tried a direct connection with a phone
extension cable (RJ11 to BT phone thing). Neither worked.
On another site visit a different brand of Microfilter was tried and
this worked OK.

My questions:-
Should a normal BT (BT plug to RJ11 plug) cable work here?

Are such cables normally or even always suitable for SDSL,
i.e. do they use twisted pairs and does it matter?

Should we use a microfilter?

Should it work with one?

Thanks.

Old November 17th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 17 Nov 2006, Richard Oliver wrote:

wrote:
Should we use a microfilter?

I haven't used a Microfilter with BT fitted SDSL lines - they can't be
simply plugged into the socket since it is RJ11 and not the BT style
socket. I wasn't aware they had changed the socket - perhaps the
engineer got it wrong?

Depends whose SDSL service is being used, as a normal line might be put
in (sorry, not had any clients using SDSL so far, so just a guess but a
customer getting, say, Easynet's SDSL, might convert an ordinary line).

In any event you aren't filtering or splitting anything - there is no
voice on the line.

Big question is whether there is actually DSL signalling across the whole
of the spectrum (in which case a filter could cause some problems on the
upstream speed, perhaps), but the other option might be a simple BT to
RJ11 adaptor (I've seen one of those adaptors similar to a doubler or
tripler - but where one of them is not for a BT plug, but RJ11).
Old November 17th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

An SDSL does not carry any voice traffic on the circuit so no filter is
needed.

Old November 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plumb

The most recent one that I have seen is provided on a normal looking
phone socket. Our installation technicial tried a number of ADSL

This BT SIN refers to the provision of SDSL

http://www1c.btwebworld.com/sinet/376v1p2.pdf

.... seems the provision changed in June - from RJ45 on a specific SHDSL
NTE5 front plate to just an NTE5 standard telephony frontplate. It does say
in there they should provide a cable to present to RJ11. Looking at the
wiring it's on the standard 2/5 pins so a modem or DSL cable should work as
it will move the line down to the middle pair of the RJ11/45.