BT dropping Home Highway - options for 2 lines?

Old November 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Default BT dropping Home Highway - options for 2 lines?

wrote :
You can also use callsign to run two numbers on one analogue line via
distinctive ringing. This widens the options.

Not good for phone+fax+ADSL.

Why not?

Old November 19th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

wrote in message

"Rory" wrote

BT can reassign the HH numbers to your new lines, but they're very
awkward about it - you need to move quickly, before the ceased HH
numbers are reassigned elsewhere. They have a group (Number
Management?) who can sort this out.

I have just done this. BT create TWO job references: one for reserving
the 2nd BTHH number, and the other for converting the BTHH to a single
analog line.

The first BTHH # becomes the analog line.

The third BTHH # is lost (although I could have reserved it I
suppose).

The operative's manner did suggest BT are getting a huge amount of
flak for this move. It isn't that not many domestic users are or are
not using ISDN *features* anymore (if indeed they ever were). It's the
manner in which they try to get you to lose two (effective) lines (and
3 numbers) and end up with just one line... (and 1 number).

They are also ceasing Business Highway. I already use call sign on one of
the analog ports and also have MSN's on the digital port giving six numbers
altogether (one unused). The most I can get on a single line is 3 (number,
call sign and a bypass). However they are not ceasing until July 2007 and
one way forward is to use ISDN and a terminal adapter.

VOIP is OK if you are happy to have a phone service which is as
reliable as your ADSL service That's OK for outgoing calls (which
is where a lot of companies have gone for VOIP) but for incoming???
Not yet.

Plus most cases of where I receive a known-VOIP call, the quality is
like somebody is calling from Mongolia.

Nah, it's not that good... It is not even as good as phoning Australia over
30 years ago, although it is a lot cheaper!

Old November 19th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

[snip]

VOIP is OK if you are happy to have a phone service which
is as reliable as your ADSL service That's OK for
outgoing calls (which is where a lot of companies have
gone for VOIP) but for incoming??? Not yet.

Very few (I won't say no) problems here. A few outages in the early days,
but 2 years in I can honestly say I've had no outages in the last 9 months
that were down to my VoIP providers. The ADSL went off for 24 hours
recently but that was down to BT and not my ISP.

Plus most cases of where I receive a known-VOIP call, the
quality is like somebody is calling from Mongolia.

What's wrong with the phones in Mongolia then..?

Ivor

Old November 19th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
wrote in message

[snip]

VOIP is OK if you are happy to have a phone service which
is as reliable as your ADSL service That's OK for
outgoing calls (which is where a lot of companies have
gone for VOIP) but for incoming??? Not yet.

Very few (I won't say no) problems here. A few outages in the early days,
but 2 years in I can honestly say I've had no outages in the last 9 months
that were down to my VoIP providers. The ADSL went off for 24 hours
recently but that was down to BT and not my ISP.

Plus most cases of where I receive a known-VOIP call, the
quality is like somebody is calling from Mongolia.

What's wrong with the phones in Mongolia then..?

There aren't very many of them - 5 phones per 100 inhabitants, although
about one in ten now has a mobile.

Ivor

Old November 19th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in
message
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
wrote in message

[snip]

VOIP is OK if you are happy to have a phone service
which is as reliable as your ADSL service That's
OK for outgoing calls (which is where a lot of
companies have gone for VOIP) but for incoming??? Not
yet.

Very few (I won't say no) problems here. A few outages
in the early days, but 2 years in I can honestly say
I've had no outages in the last 9 months that were down
to my VoIP providers. The ADSL went off for 24 hours
recently but that was down to BT and not my ISP.
Plus most cases of where I receive a known-VOIP call,
the quality is like somebody is calling from Mongolia.

What's wrong with the phones in Mongolia then..?

There aren't very many of them - 5 phones per 100
inhabitants, although about one in ten now has a mobile.

That's not a call quality issue, though..!

Ivor