BT dropping Home Highway - options for 2 lines?

Old November 17th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

Default BT dropping Home Highway - options for 2 lines?

On 17 Nov 2006, wrote:

Incredibly, they are offering to replace it with just ONE line, not
two lines which is what one has been paying the rental for.

Actually, Highway offers two 64k CHANNELS not two lines at all.

I made the point that a lot of people have two lines in use and are
going to be cheesed off. She didn't seem to care.

Someone else has made the decision, so I guess that since "she" cannot
alter the plans, there's not a lot of point in worrying. When BT (a
very long time ago) decided they would charge for bypass numbers, a
small number (50,000 customers) were going to be affected, and the
decision was made to write to those customers, giving them a line
on which to respond (ie - yes, I'll pay extra, or no, cancel bypass
numbers, as I don't want to spend extra)... The department was over
in Stoke and were simply lumbered with dealing with this short-term
set of calls (on top of whatever else they usually answered) so at
a guess, they were probably warned, "you may get a lot of unhappy
callers for the next X weeks" and perhaps also could care less!

Anyway, my situation is this

BTHH: Number A - phone
BTHH: Number B - fax

you seem to have forgotten Number C - the number for any data calls
(which I assume you have never used, though if you had a suitable
router / ISDN card, you could have used it with a phone/answerphone
to make or receive calls).

I asked BT to replace the BTHH box with *two* phone sockets, carrying
numbers A & B. This is pretty obvious, but they can't do it. All they
can do is replace the BTHH box with *one* socket and then install a
separate line for the 2nd line, so you now have two wires dangling to
your house.

They could install a DACS which would allow you to have two separate
analogue numbers in use at the same time. They would charge 2 sets
of line rental, similar to the charges payable for BT HH.

I would not recommend DACS, however, as it bars options of using ADSL
on either line, and limits modem speeds, too, but if you really want
to use these two numbers independently, it is an option you have.

I also need to coordinate with ZEN to transfer the ADSL service from
number C to number B, after BT do the BTHH removal.

Why do you want to transfer the ADSL service? When you have the Home
Highway line converted back to a standard line (*) they will ask you
which number you want to keep (A, B, or C - I am sure they were all
shown on the box when I had Highway). You could keep the fax number
on that line, and get your current line (ADSL) renumbered to that of
A (just in case your fax machine is unhappy with an ADSL filter).

(*) incidentally, BT was charging about 50 quid for this, and while I
know you feel this will be inconvenient, if they're doing it for
free, it may be to your advantage in the long run.
Old November 30th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:32:34 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

When you have the Home
Highway line converted back to a standard line (*) they will ask you
which number you want to keep (A, B, or C - I am sure they were all
shown on the box when I had Highway). You could keep the fax number
on that line, and get your current line (ADSL) renumbered to that of
A (just in case your fax machine is unhappy with an ADSL filter).

(*) incidentally, BT was charging about 50 quid for this, and while I
know you feel this will be inconvenient, if they're doing it for
free, it may be to your advantage in the long run.

Have you got a BT price list reference for this being done free?

The droids at BT deny that this is the case.

Old November 30th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 30 Nov 2006, Mike wrote:

(*) incidentally, BT was charging about 50 quid for this, and while I
know you feel this will be inconvenient, if they're doing it for
free, it may be to your advantage in the long run.

Have you got a BT price list reference for this being done free?

The droids at BT deny that this is the case.

No reference. Read carefully, I put " if they're doing it for free"
because I was simply going by the original post. That BT is shortly
(in the scheme of life) to withdraw Highway, and appeared from that
post and the letter to be offering a replacement of a single line
to the exchange.... It was therefore only an assumption by me,
that if they were offering a change, it was probably free.

I suppose they might be asking people to choose between using ISDN 2
or a single analogue line, and charging for the conversion, but it
didn't seem especially fair to a customer to both force a change
(because BT was withdrawing this facility) and make the customer
pay for the change that is (presumably) unwanted.
Old December 3rd 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:38:27 +0000, Mike wrote:

Have you got a BT price list reference for this being done free?

cba to look, but the letter from BT about Highway terminating says if
you go to their broadband the conversion/upgrade is free.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.